Candy cane coral? Is it ok?

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this from a tank a couple weeks ago was told it was a Candy cane coral I believe it is but all the pictures I look up they seem super puffy these are small in nature wasn't sure if they look normal or if I should do something?

20240402_085340.jpg 20240402_085335.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back polyps looks a little unhealthy (the back polyps have exposed septa), though the front polyps look good. what are your parameters? How high flow Is it in? Also this would be in LPS Discussion

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look’s okay, it’s, not as tight between the Stalks as mine. Need to spot feed it, recommend ReefRoids. The heads are larger at night when the Sweeper Tentacles come out. It will sting other Corals, Birds Nest and Staghorn will be Killed, or Damaged. My Leathers seem to be resistant, after a Couple of days of getting stung.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The back polyps looks a little unhealthy (the back polyps have exposed septa), though the front polyps look good. what are your parameters? How high flow Is it in? Also this would be in LPS Discussion

It's in low flow this is exactly how they looked in the other tank I've got some Benereef coming tomorrow so I'll definitely start spot feeding do I need to do anything with the *bad* polyps? Remove them or anything

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look’s okay, it’s, not as tight between the Stalks as mine. Need to spot feed it, recommend ReefRoids. The heads are larger at night when the Sweeper Tentacles come out. It will sting other Corals, Birds Nest and Staghorn will be Killed, or Damaged. My Leathers seem to be resistant, after a Couple of days of getting stung.
Lol these are like the size of pencil erasers so wasn't sure

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in low flow this is exactly how they looked in the other tank I've got some Benereef coming tomorrow so I'll definitely start spot feeding do I need to do anything with the *bad* polyps? Remove them or anything
If its always looked like that than it probably should heal, though do you see any of the skeleton poking out of the back polyps? Don't remove them, wait for them to heal, I wouldn't recommend removing/discarding any polyps unless they're infected or simply too far gone. Overall I'd say it looks good. Do you see any feeding response?

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its always looked like that than it probably should heal, though do you see any of the skeleton poking out of the back polyps? Don't remove them, wait for them to heal, I wouldn't recommend removing/discarding any polyps unless they're infected or simply too far gone. Overall I'd say it looks good. Do you see any feeding response?
When I got them they had alot of hair algae all in-between each polyp got all that cleaned up last night I looked before going to bed and didn't see any type of feeding response but it was only a hour after lights out im going to try and spot feed them tomorrow when my Benereef gets here and see if that does anything

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got them they had alot of hair algae all in-between each polyp got all that cleaned up last night I looked before going to bed and didn't see any type of feeding response but it was only a hour after lights out im going to try and spot feed them tomorrow when my Benereef gets here and see if that does anything
If you just messed with them they'll look unhappy for a little bit, just give them time and they'll be fine

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the light?

Candy canes were one of my first corals, but I used to keep light lower

They did extremely well and were fat and happy, as were my acans

But nowadays with my light higher to support SPS, they aren't anywhere near as happy.

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the light?

Candy canes were one of my first corals, but I used to keep light lower

They did extremely well and were fat and happy, as were my acans

But nowadays with my light higher to support SPS, they aren't anywhere near as happy.
SB Reef light 32 inch on the included legs 40 Breeder whites 10 blues 70

OP
OP
J

John_A

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics I just took looks like possible mouths open on some

20240402_115719.jpg 20240402_115708.jpg 20240402_115708.jpg 20240402_115704.jpg

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like more flesh band going down the skeleton. I think you got them in a little rough shape but no where near to far gone and I would guess they will look great in a few months. Feed with lights out and when their sweepers are out.
9E9FB9D3-A6C1-4DDA-B8DA-DAFB3BF4E49C.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back