Any live rocks vendors on Pacific side ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

So it’s no secret that you can get amazing live rocks from Atlantic side from vendors like TBS , KPAquatics , live rock n reef and more and so many more places in Florida .

But can anyone point me at someone who still sells Pacific Live Rocks ? I know all the locations of Fiji and Indonesia are closed down . But does anyone do aquacultured live rocks on the Pacific side ?

Regards,
Abhishek

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered about this before and as far as I know, it doesn't exist. I have no idea why not though since there is a market for it. If corals can be maricultured, then why not rock? I can't imagine it's a logistical issue because there used be actual reef rock shipped to the states all the time. Maybe there isn't a good source of dry seed rock to get a farm started? I believe Walt Smith had an operation going in Fiji, but they used man-made rock. From what I've read about it, it wasn't very impressive as far as live rock goes.
I'd love to see someone get a maricultured live rock farm running in the pacific, or at least hear from an insider about why it can't be done. It's got to be possible somewhere with places like Australia, Indonesia, Fiji, Tonga, and Solomon Islands already involved in the aquarium trade.

Last edited:

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get liverock from Australia but it is very, very expensive. Plenty of places in Baja with gulf type temps to culture liverock. But I don't think there is a supply of limestone rock to use.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get liverock from Australia but it is very, very expensive. Plenty of places in Baja with gulf type temps to culture liverock. But I don't think there is a supply of limestone rock to use.

I have seen once or twice Australian live rocks being sold but they were around 20-30$ per lb . I don’t know if anyone is selling now in US .

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australian live rock is crazy expensive and rarely available. But I do hear of it occasionally from importer friends.

There are some places selling "aquacultured live rock" from Fiji that they sometimes call "Walt Smith 2.0". I cant emphasize enough how bad I think this material is. Its literally as dense and non-porous as a building brick, being made entirely of purple-dyed concrete. I would absolutely not buy it again.

My favorite outside the box way to get Pacific live rock is actually to buy cheap zoa and mushroom rocks from Tonga. Wholesale prices on these are often low (<$10 ea) and its very alive. But this strategy only works for small quantities, it'd get pricey to fill a tank this way.

I'll be curious to know if anyone else knows a good source of Pacific live rock...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

A long list of pirates and smugglers that can not be published due to advice from counsel

California probably has seawater classified as a substance known to cause cancer.

Yes, probably true. Soon you will need a permit to purchase salt and another to dispose of it.

giphy.gif

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a LOT of it, it's just been in captivity for a while ;) I have about 300 lbs. of vanuatu, uaniva and rock that has been in my systems and or/kept heated and circulating for many years.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a LOT of it, it's just been in captivity for a while ;) I have about 300 lbs. of vanuatu, uaniva and rock that has been in my systems and or/kept heated and circulating for many years.

That is amazing ! I have only 80-100 in my main tank but looking for fresh ones for the next tank .
Let’s talk more lol !!!

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there was someone. I emailed KP Aquatics (since they don't have a phone number listed on their site), on Monday and haven't had a reply!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to this source? Thanks in advance

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kinda amazing none of these countries take the opportunity to open up and sell at a premium. While harvesting tons and selling for next to nothing was probably neither profitable nor sustainable, selling small amounts of live rock could be both.

U

User1

View Badges
California is too cold up North and still cool down South. Also the ecosystem or biological life wouldn't last due to the warmer water in our aquariums. At least in my opinion. As an active scuba diver in the area I can say without a doubt it is the best diving in the world but so very cold :) I will say that it is possible to do some work on the surface which I've considered a few times. I think it would be very cool and also environmentally friendly while still producing exceptional rock.

With that in mind Gulf of Mexico / Texas or such. I don't know if there are any official aquaculture sites running. I understand the problem as TBS offers the best rock out there but shipping is a bit of a bummer. KP also produces good products although a bit cheaper. Still nothing friendly to the hobbyists on the wrong coast...

Pacific ocean is just not friendly due to the cool temperatures and life it is composed of. While not apples to apples I've seen many a diver visit from Florida or a primary warm water diver (vacation) who has their regulators freeze on them diving in Monterey :D 49 Fahrenheit is cold but that is around 114 feet surface in the summer is 55 - 60 ' ish. Further South isn't much warmer...

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish there was someone. I emailed KP Aquatics (since they don't have a phone number listed on their site), on Monday and haven't had a reply!
They're a small operation. They'll get too you. I've ordered from them before and had zero issues.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back