Any reason not to add a shrimp and go by to my reef

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to see how these guys work together fort awhile now. Any negatives to getting them?

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine.
I suppose it takes bare bottom off the table, if you think you ever want to go there. And from what I've heard they are a pain to catch, if you have to. On a cautionary note, the shrimp may dig under your rock and cause shifts (mine did, and I had to rearrange/reseat my 'scape).
But again, I love the little knuckleheads.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you love your water clarity be prepared for a decline in clarity routinely. The finer the grain of sand the worse the sand storm.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome together, esp. watching them work, but like Tahoe said, you will have a sandstorm, and as rockhead stated, the combo will shift your rocks, but as long as you understand that they will pull frags into their holes, will cause major sandstorms, will shift your aquascape, then definitely get them. The pair are so much fun to watch, I plan for what they do and then love to watch them as friends. Have fun!!!!

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had the sandstorm issue, and I have pretty fine sand. But as to shifting rocks, and snatching frags, small rocks, and extra shells (I keep some laying around for my hermits to move in and out), they do it non-stop. My wife is a GA Tech grad, and we call the shrimp Buzz (their mascot) because he is such a little engineer....

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GT! Awesome, we call ours The Wreck, from GT and from his destructive habits. My undergrad was from GA Tech, and I definitely appreciate your stories of the shrimp being an engineer, either it's fun or it's annoying.
final choice goes to who wants it. If you don't mind all of the above, then good. If you want a sterile tank left the way you set it up, then don't..

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back