What to do after velvet?

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a purple tang, who very quickly developed velvet. He spread it around, took out a chunk of my fish, looked on deaths door for days, but is now amongst the few that survived.

I have left,
Pt
1 spot fox face
2 x anthias
Cleaner wrasse
Orange spot goby.

All fish now look in fine health. The fox face showed signs of velvet, as did 1 of the surviving anthias. Every fish is now fin perfect. The tank is looking better than ever.

My question is, what now?

I know that taking all fish out, treating the tank, and fallowing for 90 days would rid the tank of it, but I'm a little hesitant to stress out a bunch of perfectly healthy fish.

I'm also a bit hesitant to put any more fiah in, as I don't want them to get velvet and die.

I have a big UV on the system, and have been treating with polyplab reef safe ich and velvet treatment.

My thoughts are to keep going with the treatment, and not add anything new for the fallow period, or longer, in the hopes that the uv and the treatment, with healthy fish will negate the need for treating rhe fish.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I added a purple tang, who very quickly developed velvet. He spread it around, took out a chunk of my fish, looked on deaths door for days, but is now amongst the few that survived.

I have left,
Pt
1 spot fox face
2 x anthias
Cleaner wrasse
Orange spot goby.

All fish now look in fine health. The fox face showed signs of velvet, as did 1 of the surviving anthias. Every fish is now fin perfect. The tank is looking better than ever.

My question is, what now?

I know that taking all fish out, treating the tank, and fallowing for 90 days would rid the tank of it, but I'm a little hesitant to stress out a bunch of perfectly healthy fish.

I'm also a bit hesitant to put any more fiah in, as I don't want them to get velvet and die.

I have a big UV on the system, and have been treating with polyplab reef safe ich and velvet treatment.

My thoughts are to keep going with the treatment, and not add anything new for the fallow period, or longer, in the hopes that the uv and the treatment, with healthy fish will negate the need for treating rhe fish.

Any thoughts? Am I on the right track?
Not 90 days but 45-60 days with 60 recommended. Polyp lab is hit and miss as its peroxide salts and will help with early stage ich although polyp Labs claims velvet.
Next- I would add Ruby rally Pro which is reef safe and will treat velvet, bacterial and many other issues. Yes, keep going with treatment but even a lower level coppersafe treatment which is Very effective and less cost than $40 for a small bottle of Medic. Ive seen too many use Medic, thought issue was nipped in the bud and found the issue was returned and in fact was temporarily controlled and not cleared.
UV unit will address free floating organisms which pass thru the UV channel and not erase anything that is still within tank or on fish.
Glad to hear however that you have the upper hand on this. You can use Ruby Rally with Medic safely which I did a few years ago for velvet and it did work. I believed the Ruby Product was the key

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so the disease remains in your tank ready to strike again at the first stress event such as adding new fish....

OP
OP
A

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so the disease remains in your tank ready to strike again at the first stress event such as adding new fish....
Well, not unless it has a host. The life cycle requires it to feed. This is why I was asking. If I have uv and continue treatment, the waterborne stage of its life should be dealt with. I can see it surviving on or in rocks, but if it can't get onto a fish, wouldn't that have the same effect as fallowing? This is why I ask. There must be conditions that this desiese cannot survive. I'm looking at creating this with fish and inverts still in the tank.

OP
OP
A

AdamK1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 90 days but 45-60 days with 60 recommended. Polyp lab is hit and miss as its peroxide salts and will help with early stage ich although polyp Labs claims velvet.
Next- I would add Ruby rally Pro which is reef safe and will treat velvet, bacterial and many other issues. Yes, keep going with treatment but even a lower level coppersafe treatment which is Very effective and less cost than $40 for a small bottle of Medic. Ive seen too many use Medic, thought issue was nipped in the bud and found the issue was returned and in fact was temporarily controlled and not cleared.
UV unit will address free floating organisms which pass thru the UV channel and not erase anything that is still within tank or on fish.
Glad to hear however that you have the upper hand on this. You can use Ruby Rally with Medic safely which I did a few years ago for velvet and it did work. I believed the Ruby Product was the key
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I'll take on board and implement all of that. If I can find Ruby reef pro in Europe! Good to hear a mix of ideas. Hopefully I can kick this and not cause issues for future fish.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not unless it has a host. The life cycle requires it to feed. This is why I was asking. If I have uv and continue treatment, the waterborne stage of its life should be dealt with. I can see it surviving on or in rocks, but if it can't get onto a fish, wouldn't that have the same effect as fallowing? This is why I ask. There must be conditions that this desiese cannot survive. I'm looking at creating this with fish and inverts still in the tank.
If the tank has no fish in it then yes it has no host and will die out in 45 to 60 days. UV is not going to rid the tank of anything completely.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply. I'll take on board and implement all of that. If I can find Ruby reef pro in Europe! Good to hear a mix of ideas. Hopefully I can kick this and not cause issues for future fish.
Ok, youre in Europe. You should be able to acquire and use Waterlife myxazin which is very similar to ruby Rally Pro or NT Labs Acriflavin

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back