H2O2 treatment for quarantine?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the idea of using H2O2 prophylactically during quarantine to eliminate ich and/or velvet?

Some of the reef safe products like Polyp Labs Medic use peroxide salts to treat mild cases of ich and there are articles by humble fish suggesting that they have treated a velvet outbreak with H2O2. Why not use this mild form of treatment to prophylactically treat new additions against ich and velvet?

Is this possible? Is anybody doing this out there?

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Polyp labs successfully a couple of times in a 4ft reef tank to control low level ich in fish like a powder blue tang, so I believe it might work. Peroxide doesn't last long after you pour it out of the bottle though. Maintaining the levels correctly might be difficult. I presume this is why Polyp labs created medic.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Polyp labs successfully a couple of times in a 4ft reef tank to control low level ich in fish like a powder blue tang, so I believe it might work. Peroxide doesn't last long after you pour it out of the bottle though. Maintaining the levels correctly might be difficult. I presume this is why Polyp labs created medic.
The protocol humble fish used suggested small doses every half hour from 10 pm through 6 am (time during which the parasites normally come off the fish and onto the water column).

Just seems to me like if it works for a low level infection that it would work prophylactically as well.

I have been using Polyb lab medic for a mild ich outbreak and seems to be doing its job. There are so many species that don’t do well with copper treatment and so many that don’t do well in hyposalinity and then there’s rocks and sand etc. Peroxide salts seem like a reasonable way to go if I consider all of this.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the idea of using H2O2 prophylactically during quarantine to eliminate ich and/or velvet?

Some of the reef safe products like Polyp Labs Medic use peroxide salts to treat mild cases of ich and there are articles by humble fish suggesting that they have treated a velvet outbreak with H2O2. Why not use this mild form of treatment to prophylactically treat new additions against ich and velvet?

Is this possible? Is anybody doing this out there?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back