Ich or velvet from a coral frag.

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my tank for almots 3 years 220 gallon dispaly . recently I added few coral frags to my system. Normally I QT all new fishes . I overlooked coral frags . I just rinsed it in tank water and put them in . Now couple of weeks later I see suspicious white sp eating and no othre fish has the white spots in my purple tang all fish areots. I belive its either ich or velvet starting . I cannot take all the fish and corals. I am goign to try either polylab reef medic or h2o2 .
My friend actually treated his 700 gallon tank for velvet using 6 weeks of h2O2 and he was able to save his fishes and corals. I would like to hear from others about other medications and experience.
Any help is appreciated

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics to confirm - it’s not common but certainly possible to bring in disease from invertebrates. They aren’t affected, but can carry it in until fish are infected.
There are no effective treatments for ich or velvet that can be safely administered in a reef tank.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached

Attachments

• IMG_7944.png
    IMG_7944.png
    914.1 KB · Views: 51

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not velvet, maybe ich.
A properly sized UV is a reasonable in tank treatment, but with the low number of spots the fish may shake it off. Feed the tank well to keep the fishes eating and hope for the best.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running my tank for almots 3 years 220 gallon dispaly . recently I added few coral frags to my system. Normally I QT all new fishes . I overlooked coral frags . I just rinsed it in tank water and put them in . Now couple of weeks later I see suspicious white sp eating and no othre fish has the white spots in my purple tang all fish areots. I belive its either ich or velvet starting . I cannot take all the fish and corals. I am goign to try either polylab reef medic or h2o2 .
My friend actually treated his 700 gallon tank for velvet using 6 weeks of h2O2 and he was able to save his fishes and corals. I would like to hear from others about other medications and experience.
Any help is appreciated

That's possible. Both Velvet and Ich may stick to a surface like a rock. I like careful QT. This is actually because it takes a lot of my time when something goes wrong. It is more cost-effective to avoid pathogen.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it end up being ich or velvet?
I believe it was ich removes all corals and inverts and treated while tank with copper . Everything is fixed and removed copper too . Will add coral back after few mnths after QT

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back