Ich or Velvet

jcampbell98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a few other opinions on this. I purchased a fully cycled tank and moved some of my existing tank inhabitants over about a week ago. The tank was stocked with 2 midnight clowns, springer damsel and a sergeant major damsel. I transferred from my tank a Lavender tang and 2 perculla clowns.

About 3 days after the move, the tang started showing signs of either ich or velvet. (attaching some photos). about 24 hours later, the tang was dead.
The next day, I noticed the two Perculla clowns starting to act a little strange (not eating, lethargic and producing a lot of extra mucus). The next morning they were both dead.

Yesterday morning, one of the midnight clowns was no where to be found and one of the damsels was dead. I assume it died overnight, but I still have not been able to locate it.

Currently, I am left with one midnight clown and a springer damsel. The springer damsel is showing absolutely no signs of ich or velvet and is eating and acting normal. However, the midnight clown has been looking a little questionable since yesterday morning. I started dosing peroxide, based on the idea that it might be velvet from a forum I read here on how it seems to help with it. Since starting that, the clown has been eating and acting normal and seems to have a little less white spots on it. But, i'm not sure if it is just placebo.

I am attaching a few photos and looking for a few more opinions on if this is just a bad case of ich, or if it is actually velvet.

I went through one tank crash a couple months ago with my original setup (non disease related) and now this, so I am just a bit bummed.

IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0673.jpg IMG_0674.jpg IMG_0675.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get both of those fish into a hospital tank (this can be as simple as a garbage can with heater, powerhead, and ammonia monitor), and treat with copper immediately. Hydrogen peroxide has been used to treat parasitic infections, but success is normally not achieved by using it directly in the display; it's rather most often used as a dip along with other treatments.

Copper, as toxic as it can be, still seems to be the most effective treatment for both ich and velvet. I'd also let your tanks go fallow for at least 45 days. Sorry to hear that you're going through this! It's always tough.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back