Marine ich velvet or brooklynella

dabgod43

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater I have a mixed reef tank. A few weeks ago my fish started getting these white spots wasn’t sure if it was marine ich, velvet or brooklynella. Every fish I had showed symptoms at night and was gone by the morning. Only survivor is my yellow watchman goby. Besides the fish shown I also lost 3 clowns, a firefish, green mandarin, blue yellowtail damsel. Please help determine what this is

IMG_6167.png IMG_6170.png IMG_6169.png IMG_6168.png
 
I’m new to saltwater I have a mixed reef tank. A few weeks ago my fish started getting these white spots wasn’t sure if it was marine ich, velvet or brooklynella. Every fish I had showed symptoms at night and was gone by the morning. Only survivor is my yellow watchman goby. Besides the fish shown I also lost 3 clowns, a firefish, green mandarin, blue yellowtail damsel. Please help determine what this is

IMG_6167.png IMG_6170.png IMG_6169.png IMG_6168.png

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That is marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

Treating it once it has begun to kill fish can be difficult, because that means that the infection is very far along.

The two treatment options are coppersafe or low salinity. Neither of those can be done in tanks with invertebrates or corals though.

I can walk you through the treatments, but you’re going to need to act fast!
 
This is ich and you will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. All other fish in with it should also be removed as they have also been exposed to the parasites and placed in quarantine tank.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new