Any skimmer guru's out there

  • Thread starter Thread starter ncfishguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
123
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I could make a injector for my skimmer to make it even better ! I Have a reef octopus , seen premo reef take a aquac skimmer apart and it had a small acrylic cylinder in the inlet that was slightly pinched at one end ! Wonder if that style would work on a reef octopus mod it to fit to the pump ?
 
The older RO's were easy to mod by making a better venturi and meshmodding the impeller. But in the last few years they make a pretty decent venture and there pinwheel is fine so modding it isn't going to yield much results. I remember when the octo200 was out and I could mod it from 12scfh of air to 40scfh of air by doing the above.
 
The bb pump's don't need to be modded at all, the venture and pw's work well. The aqua c is a spray injector so its a whole different animal. Personally I'm not much of an aqua c fan. The larger models seem to work ok but I have never had luck or cared for the smaller models.
 
The bb pump's don't need to be modded at all, the venture and pw's work well. The aqua c is a spray injector so its a whole different animal. Personally I'm not much of an aqua c fan. The larger models seem to work ok but I have never had luck or cared for the smaller models.
I'm lookin I no a external skimmer just can't decide which one like the mrc mr2
 
an sro doesn't need mods, if you want to get the water even cleaner, consider a bp reactor. Lately though i have been back on an ozone kick , maybe inject ozone. If you want a bad butt xt skimmer try a skimz , just a beast of a skimnmer.

Modding skimmers is kind of a thing of the past , companies have optimized the air intake / water intake/ contact time thing pretty well.. if that wasnt true everyone would just jam an air pump and a wood diffuser into their skimmers ( this still works on CSS and other crap skimmers) just buy a quality skimmer reef octo is fine, rated 1.5-2x system gross volume.

do 20% monthly wc, because really what m,atters is your RODI and your consistency.
 
an sro doesn't need mods, if you want to get the water even cleaner, consider a bp reactor. Lately though i have been back on an ozone kick , maybe inject ozone. If you want a bad *** xt skimmer try a skimz , just a beast of a skimnmer.

Modding skimmers is kind of a thing of the past , companies have optimized the air intake / water intake/ contact time thing pretty well.. if that wasnt true everyone would just jam an air pump and a wood diffuser into their skimmers ( this still works on CSS and other crap skimmers) just buy a quality skimmer reef octo is fine, rated 1.5-2x system gross volume.

do 20% monthly wc, because really what m,atters is your RODI and your consistency.
So skimz are good ? I was lookin at my reef creation skimmers and deltic I have a heavy load 150 and moving up to a 400 next few years
 
There are lots of good skimmers out there. I have three skimz models over the last few years and they work well. Really you want to look at a few things when it comes to a skimmer, one, the footprint and rating, two, your budget and three your needs meaning in sump, hot, external....etc. MRC's are good skimmers, but so are octopus, vertex, BK, skimz....etc. If I were going with an external skimmer I would most likely get a reef octopus or skimz, just because they are readily available and they seem to work well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new