Any snake people

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding it hard to think of any snake as *playful* lol It is not recommended to feed any snake using your hand. Always use a pair of tongs. Don't want the snake associating your hand with food.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was another option, just thought humidity levels would be easier to handle with the Corn due to the dry climate where I live. I also heard the Corn snakes were easier to feed.

You can easily mist ball pythons with a spray bottle. Also, you should have a large enough water bowl for the snake to be able to lay in. As far as feeding, I have found it easier to feed ball pythons as opposed to corn snakes. I prefer to feed frozen as opposed to live. The frozen are less likely to transmit disease and you do not have to worry about the prey biting the snake. It takes snakes awhile to heal from injuries.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brett, I still have my two Rosy Boas that I kept as a kid... they're 17 and 20 years old now.

Having kept quite the variety of herps as a kid/teen, the rosy's were one of the best and easiest of all.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to feed frozen as opposed to live. The frozen are less likely to transmit disease and you do not have to worry about the prey biting the snake. It takes snakes awhile to heal from injuries.

Being able to feed previously frozen mice is a HUGE plus for me and a definite plus for the health of the snake as well.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being able to feed previously frozen mice is a HUGE plus for me and a definite plus for the health of the snake as well.

Absolutely, that's been the verdict all around from all the research. In fact I haven't really heard anybody say they still feed live rodents.

What do you guys/gals think as far as cage sizes and who makes the best lids to ensure we keep them where their supposed to be?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my snakes live mice, bought one male and a few females from the pet store...tossed them into a cage and had an infinite supply of food. When they fought back, my corn snake would squeeze them harder, he squeezed one so hard it's eyes popped out of its head and were kind of loose looking. I tried the frozen, he didn't take to them, then I put a live in a paper bag and hit it over a counter and he didn't like the dead one either, tried live and he went right at it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, that's been the verdict all around from all the research. In fact I haven't really heard anybody say they still feed live rodents.

What do you guys/gals think as far as cage sizes and who makes the best lids to ensure we keep them where their supposed to be?
I've always fed live; still do.

The cages I have I've had for years; love them but I highly doubt anyone makes them anymore (and they're definitely escape proof). The Exo Terra style terrariums are quite popular these days; I have one with some dwarf day geckos in it and have been pleased with it too.

cobraz

Zoo Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snakes... I love snakes !This not my pic... but I have done this in India.. while on a work stop.

Attachments

• baby-cobra.jpg
    baby-cobra.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found me a nice 36x18x18 exo terra terrarium on sale. Someone bought it for aquatic turtles and it didn't hold water too well. Got it for almost half price. We looked at some snakes today too but it's supposed to be a surprise for my little man for Christmas. We really liked the Corn and king snakes and he even got to hold a little one. While it'll be a lot more work on my end I think he'll love it and learn a lot from helping me with it. Still debating on which snake but figured we can start getting things ready while we decide. Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far and please feel free to share your thoughts experience and pictures.

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been researching ball pythons for a few months now and finally picked up 2 today at the westchester reptile show over in NY.
They are both pretty docile and I love them so far. Trying not to pick them up too much so I don't stress them out:

firefly male:

Bumblebee female:

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear kids in your situation. I'm no pro, but I've have corn snakes and ball pythons. Corn snakes can be fast/slippery and kids can freak and drop. With Ball Pythons, the kids will freak, but will not drop because they move slllloooowww. Kiddies still need guidance though....

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I never updated this! we did end up with a little corn. He's really easy going, eats great and little man does really well with him. It definitely takes some guidance on my part but it has turned out to be a great pet for the family. Hopefully it's teaching them that snakes aren't those nasty stereotypical creatures most are trained to hate but I've also made it a point to teach the kids that not all snakes should be approached too.

Here's little man with his buddy

bruno21447

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snakes I breed Ball pythons and have about 30 balls, 1 rubber boa. And its not a snake but picked up a uromastyx last night and enjoying him alot.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for a (blue or red) green tree python! my nephew has a red and green one its one of the coolest looking and nicest snakes I have ever seen
all snakes are peaceful as long as you take care of them (just like birds) when you neglect them or dont feed them enough is when they get mean

If you think a Green Tree Python is a great pet for a kid, you are out of your mind. They are by far one of the most aggressive snakes you can purchase. Handling them is very dangerous. They have longer teeth then most snakes for snagging birds, and they have a very short temper. I've seen many strike at the owner with the glass between them. Not a good choice at all!

Lateralus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was gonna suggest a dumerils boa but the corn is a fine choice.
As for the green tree python someone suggested, uhh no...

Back