Any snake people

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about something like a corn snake but want to make sure it's something my kids can hold and help take care of. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a ball python? I have found them to be more docile than corn snakes. My issue with corn snakes is that they are squirmy and with their thin bodies it can make handling difficult. Also, they seem to snap more, but it doesn't hurt. The action is more sudden and startling as opposed to painful. Also, corn snakes can escape quicker and through smaller holes.

As far as a ball python, they seem to be easier to handle. They can snap, but it is typically less frequent and with more warning than a corn snake. However, it is more painful.

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on ball python, my cousin has one and he says it always crawls around on him and his playful. I believe it's called a ball python because instead of striking to defend itself it curls up in a ball.( I think) ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1386129558.992617.jpg

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was another option, just thought humidity levels would be easier to handle with the Corn due to the dry climate where I live. I also heard the Corn snakes were easier to feed.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as humidity, you can either buy a mister (is that the word?) or a spray bottle filled with water and mist the snake every so often.

My brother used to raise them, and currently two friends of mine do. Haven't seen them attack.

I love snakes because people's reactions after they hold one and realize they don't hate it are priceless.

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter has an Albino Honduran Milk Snake. It's docile and very pretty. She got it when she (my daughter) was ten years old, a little over three years ago. Full grown is about 5 feet and a large mouse or small rat is still plenty big for feeding. IME, the trick to being able to handle any snake is to keep doing so. If you stop handling them regularly they become unaccustomed to it and tend to think of the hand going into the tank as simply a food drop.

Please make sure you get a good tank enclosure. I personally would never buy anything other than one that slides into place since years ago there were many tears at my house when my son's ball python escaped from a tank with a top that lifted off and we were never able to find it.

Rosie.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snakes but haven't had one for a long time. Im used to more local wild stuff though, like Bull snakes. My wife is not a snake person at all and I can't wait to have her hold one.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trish, that is a beauty, I love Milk snakes and would have one for sure if I let reptiles consume me the way fish have, haha. I refuse to even visit a reptile forum for that exact reason.

Last edited:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stay away from reptiles and snakes as one expensive hobby is enough for me ;) I used to have a bearded dragon and loved it. I would consider one of those before a snake, unless the child is dead set on a snake. Ball Pythons are really docile creatures when treated well and kept well fed. The trick to any reptile though is handle DAILY and be very nice. Also have multiple people handle it as it will get used to different handling.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to catch and breed snakes when I was younger. I actually wanted to be a herpetologist all while growing up. I had a corn snake for several years, when I got rid of all of my other snakes that is the only one I kept. Colorful and very easy to care for, I fed mine live mice every week. He was just over five feet when he passed away...I held him all the time, and let him crawl around tr yard every once and a while. Very timid, easy to handle and got used to people easy (strangers could hold him), and never would get big enough to hurt anything bigger them a small bird. I did get bit by him twice. Let me explain, I fed in from my hand by dangling the mouse by the tail in the center of his cage. He had a hunting ritual where he would circle the mouse then snatch it of my hand very rapidly and begin I constrict the mouse. Well, one time he missed and got my arm a little bit. He didn't rap my arm or anything, just bit me held on for a few seconds the let me go. I dropped the mouse in the tank and he went and got it. The bite was like a mild scratch that a bandaid was suitable for. The other time I got bit he was acting strange in his home and I was about to bring him outside after a feeding. When I reached in the tank to take him out, I grabbed him near the middle of his body where I usually do. .i guess the combination of his strange behavior, my recently handling his foods (hand smells like mouse) and me suddenly picking him up startled him and he turned and bit me. Again he let go really easy and I just cleared with neosporen and put a bandaid on it.

All of that said I highly recommend a corn snake as a per for a family that wants to get a pet snake. They are easy to house, easy to feed (I even fed mine from my hand), very calm, rarely bite, active and can be taken outside. Small and timid enough that kids can hold and play with it. I even mine had as a guy in my brothers and my epic figurine wars. Great beginner snake.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go for a Corn Snake if you want something the kids can handle. They aren't the most docile snake. They can be squirmy and I've seen some that are very aggressive. If you don't want a Ball Python, a very good would be a Rosy Boa. I've had a couple and they have always been very docile and easy yo handle. If you want something on the smaller side, get a male. They don't get very large. 2 feet or so. Females can get around 4-5 feet. Corn snakes can also reach 4-6 feet depending on which species you get. I may be a fish nerd but I interned for USGS for 5 years doing reptile pit fall surveys. I was pretty close to going down the Herpetology road instead of the Marine Biology road.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trish, you know that Ball python is still lurking somewhere, right? Have seen a snake reappear after a year. Not sure how long yours has been gone, just something to think about ;)

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1386158893.324419.jpg

I've kept snakes and reptiles my whole life. A corn snake or a ball python would probably be my two recommendations as far as beginner snake for kids. I tell everyone, if it has a mouth it can bite. Neither one of the snakes would cause a really bad bite, just be a little startling to the person if they weren't expecting it.

Instead of a snake, why not a bearded dragon or iguana? They would be much more personable than a snake, and you could feed them mostly on produce, lettuce, greens... Stuff you would normally have. A snake requires mice, live or dead. Mice can smell, be pricey, and a pain to feed for a beginner. And a lizard wouldn't be nearly as likely to bite.

Images are of my snake and some iguanas I had

ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1386159308.312014.jpg

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips/advice everyone. It's seems to be a pretty mixed bag between Ball pythons and Corn snakes so far. I get the feeling that most think they both make pretty good pets. Please keep your thoughts coming.

birdsnest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the Rosy Boa suggestion. Very tame snake that was easy to handle and didn't grow very large. Once had a Kenyan Sand Boa that I thought was awesome.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a ball python. Mine was very tame, clam and as nice as a reptile can be. My neighbor has a corn snake and it grew very quickly, it remained docile and is a great pet, but I think ball pythons are easier to handle for children.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for a (blue or red) green tree python! my nephew has a red and green one its one of the coolest looking and nicest snakes I have ever seen
all snakes are peaceful as long as you take care of them (just like birds) when you neglect them or dont feed them enough is when they get mean

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had lots of lizards including iguanas, I liked them all but really want to go snake this time. My iguana was over 3 feet long and if she got you with her tail you'd wish you'd been bit by a snake, lol. She was pretty easy going but out grew her cage and I gave her up to a breeder that wanted her.

mrnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kingsnakes are pretty cool as well. I think you would be fine with a ball python, cornsnake, or kingsnake. Try to find one that isn't tiny as the baby corns and kings are escape artists. Also, try to find one that is already eating as well.

Back