Green hair algae and red slime algae help!!!

mrjohnreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank that I am battling green hair algae and am losing the battle. Doesn't help I went on vacation for about 12 days and had a friend taking care of tank. I am in the manual removal mode but am also looking at other ways to get rid of the algae. Any and all help will be appreciated.

20240529_172027.jpg

OP
OP
M

mrjohnreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are as follows:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 25
Phosphate: 0

I use Salifert test kits. I just ordered a new cleanup crew that will arrive on Tuesday next week as I only have a couple of turbos in the tank and 2 emerald crabs. I'll be doing a water change this weekend as well as manually removing hair algae.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank that I am battling green hair algae and am losing the battle. Doesn't help I went on vacation for about 12 days and had a friend taking care of tank. I am in the manual removal mode but am also looking at other ways to get rid of the algae. Any and all help will be appreciated.

20240529_172027.jpg
You have a tough one, you can try: Flux Rx - 2000mg Treats up to 100Gal Reef Safe, Use on Both Bryopsis and Green Hair Algae, or FUZZ OUT Algae Removing Filter Media - Removes Hair Algae, dose carbon, But what I personally would do in this case is to remove all live rock and replace with other clean Established live rock, and vacuum the sand to rid all algae on it, and scrub all glass and all inside the tank, and do a slight water change, not too much yet, keep the lights low for awhile, and very important make sure All parameters are in range, and TEST TEST TEST.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the price of going on vacation in this hobby lol

Usually it takes me about 2-3 months to get my tank back in order when I get back from long vacation. Your on the right track, just be patient and keep it up, cheers

WaterWerks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike most I like my hair algae. I keep 4 urchins in my tank at a time as well a very hungry lawn mower and a very hungry tail spot. It stays pretty short and controlled.
I also have some Cheato in a breeder tank next to a return line in the right side of the DT.
Phosphate 0
Nitrates are 5-10 depends on when I trim the cheato
Nitrites are 0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 40

kiwikoxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6EXrc32_4VqcnZ_53kjJa_479037.jpg

Sea hares and an Urchin is great for GHA! Super cute too. Have to supplement seaweed after they clean up the rocks tho! Got it at my LFS. Next is Torchus snails cause they eat to the rock just like a urchin!

6EXrc32_3Ao9uD_5faWc_479037.jpg

I haven't used any chemicals to treat the GHA so far, the newly added chaeto and urchin/snails/sea hare is keeping my GHA in control! Hope this helps

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back