Green hair algae and red slime algae help!!!

mrjohnreed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2015
Messages
151
Reaction score
72
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank that I am battling green hair algae and am losing the battle. Doesn't help I went on vacation for about 12 days and had a friend taking care of tank. I am in the manual removal mode but am also looking at other ways to get rid of the algae. Any and all help will be appreciated.

20240529_172027.jpg
 
What are the parameters in your tank? Also what does your CUC look like?
 
Parameters are as follows:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 25
Phosphate: 0

I use Salifert test kits. I just ordered a new cleanup crew that will arrive on Tuesday next week as I only have a couple of turbos in the tank and 2 emerald crabs. I'll be doing a water change this weekend as well as manually removing hair algae.
 
I have a 75 gallon tank that I am battling green hair algae and am losing the battle. Doesn't help I went on vacation for about 12 days and had a friend taking care of tank. I am in the manual removal mode but am also looking at other ways to get rid of the algae. Any and all help will be appreciated.

20240529_172027.jpg
You have a tough one, you can try: Flux Rx - 2000mg Treats up to 100Gal Reef Safe, Use on Both Bryopsis and Green Hair Algae, or FUZZ OUT Algae Removing Filter Media - Removes Hair Algae, dose carbon, But what I personally would do in this case is to remove all live rock and replace with other clean Established live rock, and vacuum the sand to rid all algae on it, and scrub all glass and all inside the tank, and do a slight water change, not too much yet, keep the lights low for awhile, and very important make sure All parameters are in range, and TEST TEST TEST.

​

 
Thats the price of going on vacation in this hobby lol

Usually it takes me about 2-3 months to get my tank back in order when I get back from long vacation. Your on the right track, just be patient and keep it up, cheers
 
Unlike most I like my hair algae. I keep 4 urchins in my tank at a time as well a very hungry lawn mower and a very hungry tail spot. It stays pretty short and controlled.
I also have some Cheato in a breeder tank next to a return line in the right side of the DT.
Phosphate 0
Nitrates are 5-10 depends on when I trim the cheato
Nitrites are 0
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 89
6EXrc32_4VqcnZ_53kjJa_479037.jpg


Sea hares and an Urchin is great for GHA! Super cute too. Have to supplement seaweed after they clean up the rocks tho! Got it at my LFS. Next is Torchus snails cause they eat to the rock just like a urchin!

6EXrc32_3Ao9uD_5faWc_479037.jpg


I haven't used any chemicals to treat the GHA so far, the newly added chaeto and urchin/snails/sea hare is keeping my GHA in control! Hope this helps
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new