Any SPS dominant tanks with Kessils?

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, PatrikD. Absolutely... My tank looks similiar to a tank with MH, except I can change the color throughout the day.

I have an ATI 4x39 W with 2 blue+ and 2 coral+. I have one purple+ to test. I have not mounted the ATI yet. I wanted to try the Kessil only first. My aquarium is only 7 months old and I have a couple of corals. I bought one Acro staghorn to see whats happens two weeks ago. Sorry to say that there's almost no polyp extension. It's alive though and the other corals seems to do rather fine.

What T5 combo do you use?

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean Defugiums tank. I'm excited that you have both color and growth with Kessils only. Are the corals close to the surface.

Sorry for the late reply i haven't been on here in a while. I have my corals placed all over. I even have some sps in the middle area of my tank. My tank is 24 inches tall

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429856814.420194.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429856875.523768.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429856917.295374.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429856952.930889.jpg
I got all these as tiny frags kessils grew them out pretty nice

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I run mine at 100% intensity an 100% color these have been working great for me. Before I had the 360s I was running the 150s an still was growing sps just fine. Light is just a part of the equation have to also have good water quality

I also have a 360we...I also run mine at 100% color and intensity...I only run it for like 4 hrs at that setting how long do you run yours at that setting before tapering off?

BkReefBaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't have a controller just a timer my lights are on for about 9hrs
I'm thinking I need to run the 100% intensity longer. So you run the 100% intensity for 9hrs?...I have 3 pieces of sps and want more...I'm definitely looking for growth.

defugium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the settings don't change on my lights I just slowly kept turning up my lights. Just keep an eye on them. I picked up a rr red bull glued it to a rock them went to Vegas for the week I came home my poor new frag was just about dead so make sure you let your corals get used to the stronger light settings

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful and thriving corals! Nice!

So you have sps on the bottom also? How deep do you estimate acros in general can be placed in order to get good growth with Kessils?
Have you any problems with shading which often is attributed Kessils leds.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started mine at 50% when I switched from a Kessil 150 to my 360WE, so it was pretty easy to know where to start at. From what I have read a PAR meter only measures visible light spectrum and the Kessil has very strong UV light in it, so you should be cautious when taking PAR readings from your old system to compare PAR readings under Kessils. Basically, if you have access to a PAR meter, take readings from your current system and maybe back your Kessil off so your readings are XX% lower than your current system. I don't know what the percentage is unfortunately. It would be a good experiment for anyone who has not switched yet though.

Here is the article discussing the UV output of the Kessil 160 vs an AI Hydra 26. It would be nice to know how a Kessil 360we compares to the Radion or Hydra 52 in terms of UV strength at depth.
Kessil A160we LED spotlight review: the best gets even better

It will likely be similar. Issue is, the Radion and AI units are running violet diodes, not UV. They like to call them "UV" in their literature becasue for some reason that sounds alot zippier and attractive than just violet, but if you look at the specs of their diodes, they're using narrow band violets peaking as low as 405 nm. While the tail end of that spectral peak may fall just a touch inside the 395-400 nm area to actually register a little UV on a meter, they're violet diodes make no mistake, not UV. Kessil uses actual UV diodes which your eyes cannot detect at all, so the bits on the multichip that are pumping out true UV, peaking UNDER 400 nm, will actually appear as dim/black spots if you took a close up picture. To my knowledge, they're the ONLY commercial, aquarium specific LED fixture that includes real true UV diodes in the mix. Any other manufacturer you see listing "UV diodes" falling in the 400-420 nm area, are only using clever marketing language, not actual UV diodes.

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely be similar. Issue is, the Radion and AI units are running violet diodes, not UV. They like to call them "UV" in their literature becasue for some reason that sounds alot zippier and attractive than just violet, but if you look at the specs of their diodes, they're using narrow band violets peaking as low as 405 nm. While the tail end of that spectral peak may fall just a touch inside the 395-400 nm area to actually register a little UV on a meter, they're violet diodes make no mistake, not UV. Kessil uses actual UV diodes which your eyes cannot detect at all, so the bits on the multichip that are pumping out true UV, peaking UNDER 400 nm, will actually appear as dim/black spots if you took a close up picture. To my knowledge, they're the ONLY commercial, aquarium specific LED fixture that includes real true UV diodes in the mix. Any other manufacturer you see listing "UV diodes" falling in the 400-420 nm area, are only using clever marketing language, not actual UV diodes.

PAR meters only measure visible light, right? So if you are comparing PAR readings between something with actual UV (not visible) to a light with wavelenghts above the UV scale (all visible) you may not have an accurate reading of the light with actual UV. You would also need to measure the light with a UV meter in order to understand the full intensity of a light emitting UV on the spectrum wouldn't you?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I'm not really talking about overall par meter readings from light to light. Simply stating, kessils have actual UV diodes, whereas Hydra and Radion units use deep violets, not actual UV. That's all. I am not alone, but there are a certain few of us who find it silly that violet diodes are marketed as UV diodes. Might as well start calling all thos narrow band reds IR diodes while we are at it

mr_gasket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I'm not really talking about overall par meter readings from light to light. Simply stating, kessils have actual UV diodes, whereas Hydra and Radion units use deep violets, not actual UV. That's all. I am not alone, but there are a certain few of us who find it silly that violet diodes are marketed as UV diodes. Might as well start calling all thos narrow band reds IR diodes while we are at it

Yea. I gotcha. I agree. I was just having the conversation with someone about par meter readings from light to light and they disagreed with me on that topic, so I thought I would ask.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I responded to your PM. 100% is too high and will bleach even your SPS unless you have your 360 about 3 feet over your water.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back