Upgrading from 16 to 30 will a single Kessil A160WE tuna blue work?

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning to upgrade my 16 gallon to a 30 gallon and the light I have is the Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue. It's easily able to grow SPS in my 16 and even graduated to my first acropora an Acropora Yongei with success. If I upgrade to the 30 will it be enough or should I buy a second or upgrade to a different light altogether? If anyone has had success or lack of success with this light in a 30 please share your experience. I also have psammocora, monti caps and digitata, porites, as well as other LPS and sofites.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a second one. I have two of those lights over my IM20 peninsula tank... If I were better about water quality I think I could probably grow acros in there. I wouldn't chance it with one - the spread just isn't great on those, so you'd have pretty bad shading in significant portions of your tank. With two of them you can create a larger area with enough PAR to keep your corals happy.

If you do add a second make sure to pick up a link cable so you can slave your second to the first. That way you can match brightness and spectrum across both fixtures even without the controller.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a second one. I have two of those lights over my IM20 peninsula tank... If I were better about water quality I think I could probably grow acros in there. I wouldn't chance it with one - the spread just isn't great on those, so you'd have pretty bad shading in significant portions of your tank. With two of them you can create a larger area with enough PAR to keep your corals happy.

If you do add a second make sure to pick up a link cable so you can slave your second to the first. That way you can match brightness and spectrum across both fixtures even without the controller.
Great thanks for the advice. I'll shell out some money and buy a second to be safe. Last thing I want is my coral to be unhappy after the upgrade. And good idea I'll definitely pick up a link cable as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back