How is my scape for sps dominant tank?

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
182
Location
connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So trying to figure out my rock work for standard 120g sps tank. Will have 2 ai 32 and 4 t5 with led light bars. If not that will have 3 32hds. What do you think about this scape? Any pointers? I have alot of sps to pack into this that will eventually grow out.

20240411_194156.jpg 20240411_194134.jpg 20240411_194119.jpg
 
Some reefers like an empty space. But yours is certainly full. Are your rocks attached?
 
Old school and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Some notes to consider: create caves for the fish to swim into and through your rock work. Don't make the top go straight across...make a high top to low to a high top of rocks. Keep your rocks away from the sides of the tank. One reason is you will need to clean the glass of algae.
 
Classic rock wall. Been there many times. Go with 3 32's and the T5's if you want. I ran the 16hds with great growth and color. Pack those acros in there!
My old 20g nano cube with 2 16hds.
20220926_094502.jpg
 
Def old school, probably close to 2lb per gallon. I changed my scape around because I thought it looked like a "pile of rocks" after I read someone use that term lol.

Some pass throughs and negative space is pleasing to the eye, and very beneficial to the fish.

I like the look of distinctly separate structures with a couple islands only a rock or 2 above the sand. Think of surface area for corals and growth.
 
Def old school, probably close to 2lb per gallon. I changed my scape around because I thought it looked like a "pile of rocks" after I read someone use that term lol.

Some pass throughs and negative space is pleasing to the eye, and very beneficial to the fish.

I like the look of distinctly separate structures with a couple islands only a rock or 2 above the sand. Think of surface area for corals and growth.
My old 120 minimal scape around 80lbs rock.
Prior to this I always had the full rock wall. My new ext 170 will have 150lbs live rock and will be minimal too
20211231_145043.jpg
 
My old 120 minimal scape around 80lbs rock.
Prior to this I always had the full rock wall. My new ext 170 will have 150lbs live rock and will be minimal too
20211231_145043.jpg
Nice! I had the opposite lol, old school 2lb/g 75g wall o rock.
FTS.jpg
Now that I'm looking at it, I gave it a touch of neg space on the left with the brain coral on its own lol. But the rest is all rock. This is around 2009 I think :D

But yeah if I was the OP I would open it up a little, and offload the extra rock to the sump.
 
I regret not making more flat spots for acros.
Why more flat spots? Do you keep your acros loose on the rocks or do you glue? I'd think if gluing then varied heights would be preferred since you could grow them off the edges, etc. at a bunch of different heights.

Currently working on my scape for a 110g and genuinely curious.
 
Why more flat spots? Do you keep your acros loose on the rocks or do you glue? I'd think if gluing then varied heights would be preferred since you could grow them off the edges, etc. at a bunch of different heights.

Currently working on my scape for a 110g and genuinely curious.
Bigger sweet spots for the ones that like it on certain areas.
 
I think it looks good and is healthier for the fish if they can squeeze back behind it. The zero space aquascapes today don’t provide any hiding places for the fish and it shows in their behavior.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new