Any thought's about the greasy grouper?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought of getting a medium sized grouper with my Tess since i cant really put any fish which are under 15 inches with him

So I would appreciate any information about the greasy grouper

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought of getting a medium sized grouper with my Tess since i cant really put any fish which are under 15 inches with him

So I would appreciate any information about the greasy grouper
I mean the biggest thing is it's a wildly aggressive 30 inch fish that at full size could likely swallow anything thinner than a football. What size tank would it go in

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sounds like youre tessa is being a PITA with fish! Maybe consider re homing him and getting a less aggressive eel so you could have more fish? I had a situation like this with a powder blue tang. Loved her, did not want to re home her at all. But then she killed a tusk fish and made it to where I couldnt add any more fish so I realized if I wanted more fish she had to go. Just food for thought! Youre tessa sure is pretty though so I guess it comes down to if you want the tessa or other fish from the sounds of it! Plus you might he able to find another eel that can go with your turkey! (Hope he has healed nicely???) he sure is a pretty eel :)

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the biggest thing is it's a wildly aggressive 30 inch fish that at full size could likely swallow anything thinner than a football. What size tank would it go in
Currently a 210g till it gets to his full size since they do grow slower according to the infor I've gotten, i would say they would grow about 24 inches in captivity like many fish

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda sounds like youre tessa is being a PITA with fish! Maybe consider re homing him and getting a less aggressive eel so you could have more fish? I had a situation like this with a powder blue tang. Loved her, did not want to re home her at all. But then she killed a tusk fish and made it to where I couldnt add any more fish so I realized if I wanted more fish she had to go. Just food for thought! Youre tessa sure is pretty though so I guess it comes down to if you want the tessa or other fish from the sounds of it! Plus you might he able to find another eel that can go with your turkey! (Hope he has healed nicely???) he sure is a pretty eel :)
Absolutely, he's eating wonderfully and no it's not a turkey haha it's a fine spotted moray which grows to about the same size as the tess.

I think I've grown too attached to the tess now Lol but yeah he is getting annoying now I guess but here's a short story I had a red tail catfish before and I wanted to rehome him so I gave him to the lfs since I was gonna make his tank into a tesses tank which it is right now and due to the lfs's error my red tail got killed and since then I've blamed myself for it

As for the tess almost no one here has a saltwater tank or has even proper knowledge on how to care for an eel or any saltwater fish, i got him shipped to me so unless I wanna ship him back for 12 hours and even think of something bad happening like with the red tail I would most likely get depressed

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely, he's eating wonderfully and no it's not a turkey haha it's a fine spotted moray which grows to about the same size as the tess.

I think I've grown too attached to the tess now Lol but yeah he is getting annoying now I guess but here's a short story I had a red tail catfish before and I wanted to rehome him so I gave him to the lfs since I was gonna make his tank into a tesses tank which it is right now and due to the lfs's error my red tail got killed and since then I've blamed myself for it

As for the tess almost no one here has a saltwater tank or has even proper knowledge on how to care for an eel or any saltwater fish, i got him shipped to me so unless I wanna ship him back for 12 hours and even think of something bad happening like with the red tail I would most likely get depressed
Ah that makes sense. Maybe just keep him in his tank and make it just for him like you planned?

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that makes sense. Maybe just keep him in his tank and make it just for him like you planned?
You are right, i do have some small fishes in there 4 yellow tail damsels and one cleaner wrasse along with the moon wrasse which I regret adding, thought he was getting along with my nasarrius snails well until i one day saw him picking on them roughly and now I don't know how to get rid of him Lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a 2 feet grouper!?
Seems so, just looked into it and it seems that they take chunks out of larger fish and keep doing that. Lots of people only keep the tessa in its own tank. Other online forms have people say their tessa ate large triggers and groupers. Its just a very aggressive eel, especially in a tank. One guy posted in another online form talking about his tessa eating his full grown volitan lion. Kinda looks like its either the tessa or other fish!

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems so, just looked into it and it seems that they take chunks out of larger fish and keep doing that. Lots of people only keep the tessa in its own tank. Other online forms have people say their tessa ate large triggers and groupers. Its just a very aggressive eel, especially in a tank. One guy posted in another online form talking about his tessa eating his full grown volitan lion. Kinda looks like its either the tessa or other fish!
[/QUOTED/]

Quite something, I have never seen an eel take chunks out of bigger fish, unless the fish fits in its mouth and he bites it in half, but unless the eel is atleast 4-5 feet, i don't see it swallowing a whole lionfish, though, my eel sure does swallow a whole mackerel, he's about 3 feet and the mackerel being about 8 inches in length, but never taken chunks, I've only came to know how aggressive a tessalata was and is after having another eel which the tessalata bit, my other eel is really shy, never took any live fish even an inch bigger than his mouth, though I am not gonna risk it, his tank is his, the only thing I might add is a cleaner crew, which would consist of damsels and snails, though, thanks for the heads up!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats just what I read after searching up what they could eat! Who knows, the internet also isnt 100% accurate either

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back