Any tips on finding a non-tempered 75

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I needed to get a new tank, went to LFS, they assured me that it wasn't tempered. It was. They say they could order me another tank, but is there any way or methods to go through in order to make sure that the next tank I get isn't tempered. My current tank has a leak which is why I'm looking into drilling now, I've already got the overflow kit and I'd prefer not going with a reef ready because I'm not a fan of the big clunky box inside the tank.

Is there any way they could specify ordering a tank that's not tempered? Any brands that are more likely to have non tempered sides?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you find out the tank they said wasn't tempered was in fact tempered?

The only way I know to for sure get a non-tempered tank is to do a custom order. The laptop and polarized glasses trick works well... you just have to take it to the store and check before you buy it. Most Aqueon's are only tempered on the bottom... but that's MOST, not all. You could have two sitting next to each other in the same store, 1 tempered and 1 not...

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loads of youtube videos on various tricks to see tempered glass. Heres one.

Yeah, that's for once you've got a tank in hand and I'll for sure try even harder next time to check, but I'm looking to know if there's any brands, makes, or ways to special order a specifically non tempered tank. LFS doesn't have a stack of tanks sitting around to go around checking which is why I hoped that there would be a special way to special order it or something.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you find out the tank they said wasn't tempered was in fact tempered?

The only way I know to for sure get a non-tempered tank is to do a custom order. The laptop and polarized glasses trick works well... you just have to take it to the store and check before you buy it. Most Aqueon's are only tempered on the bottom... but that's MOST, not all. You could have two sitting next to each other in the same store, 1 tempered and 1 not...
I checked with a phone screen and polarized glasses and didn't see anything. I guess I'll have to go bringing my laptop around, I never thought that there'd be a difference between a phone or laptop screen.
56608004600__E36E5ABF-F5A5-4F69-80AA-7680930BD06D.jpeg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked with a phone screen and polarized glasses and didn't see anything. I guess I'll have to go bringing my laptop around, I never thought that there'd be a difference between a phone or laptop screen.
56608004600__E36E5ABF-F5A5-4F69-80AA-7680930BD06D.jpeg

Well, that sucks... Phone screens don't really work, you need to use the laptop and see the lens completely black out. If it only changes color or doesn't change at all, it's tempered.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer phones may have an OLED display vs. an LCD. That could be the difference.

The king of DIY did another video at some point that I couldnt find quickly which didnt use a screen. If I remember correctly you could tell by the way light refracted through/off the tank.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that sucks... Phone screens don't really work, you need to use the laptop and see the lens completely black out. If it only changes color or doesn't change at all, it's tempered.
Sucks very very much, yes. I just wish that LFS would have thought to mention something like that but I should have been more thorough. I'll have to do more research before I went back. I saw people use the screen, and took it at face value. Next time I'll be a bit more fussy.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going through the same troubles.

Through researching on the net I found a lot of things regarding this matter. Many had stated that a lot of this big manufacturers that mass produce these tanks for aqueon, marine land, etc often just use what they happen to have around. Sometimes they use tempered on panels other than the bottom because that is what they have. Not sure how true that is...

I couldn't find good info about my topfin 75 and found out the hard way it was tempered. Bought the same aqueon 75 that you did and drilled with no issue...

Maybe reach out to a glass shop and see what it would cost to have them drill? From what I understand they can also drill tempered glass with the proper tools? Maybe that's not entirely true either but just throwing some ideas out

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going through the same troubles.

Through researching on the net I found a lot of things regarding this matter. Many had stated that a lot of this big manufacturers that mass produce these tanks for aqueon, marine land, etc often just use what they happen to have around. Sometimes they use tempered on panels other than the bottom because that is what they have. Not sure how true that is...

I couldn't find good info about my topfin 75 and found out the hard way it was tempered. Bought the same aqueon 75 that you did and drilled with no issue...

Maybe reach out to a glass shop and see what it would cost to have them drill? From what I understand they can also drill tempered glass with the proper tools? Maybe that's not entirely true either but just throwing some ideas out
I'll have to take a look into those routes as well, I had asked LFS if they drilled but they said it would cost 50 (two holes) and they didn't cover any damages so I can only imagine what a glass shop would cost. I had priced out some glass over the summer for another project and they wanted $20, each, for 1/8 inch ~15x20- ~8x15 sheets so not too confident on that haha

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon, Marineland and Deep Blue are only tempered on the bottom glass. My Marineland 75g I drilled back in May or June.

20180319_144655_resized.jpg

20180319_143338_resized.jpg

20180319_143333_resized.jpg

20180319_143327_resized.jpg

20180319_133741_resized.jpg

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon, Marineland and Deep Blue are only tempered on the bottom glass. My Marineland 75g I drilled back in May or June.

This is not true at all, far from accurate. Aqueon is very open about substitution during production, just call them if you want to hear it first hand. They will use tempered on back panels, and/or sides based on demand, shop inventory, glass vendor inventory, and tank size. Some tank sizes share the same panel size, like a 55 and 75. Both use the same size front/back panel L x W. Aqueon 55 is very common if not standard to be tempered on the sides, and bottom. Many people have attempted to drill a 75, and found out the hard way tempered was substituted during production.

For Aqueon, many tanks under 40 are not tempered. Tanks over 40 are where the bottoms are tempered. Some sizes like the 55 are tempered on bottom + sides. I drilled an Aqueon 75 a few years ago that was non-tempered. Around the same time someone posted about shattering the glass on an Aqueon tempered back panel 75.

Rule number 1 when drilling glass. Make sure the glass is not tempered with the polarized lens + LCD screen test. Be 100% sure, and know what to look for. The strain patterns in tempered glass stick out at the right angle when testing.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, have your LFS call the tank suppliers to ask if they can do a special order for non-tempered side. If not, you'll have to look at other brands.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back