Anybody had much experience with sergeant major damsels?

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both, sergeant majors can be on the aggressive side but I think most dwarf angels are pretty tough and able to defend themselves. I would maybe try and add at the same time so there are not issues with claimed real estate in the tank.

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both, sergeant majors can be on the aggressive side but I think most dwarf angels are pretty tough and able to defend themselves. I would maybe try and add at the same time so there are not issues with claimed real estate in the tank.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding to a 5 foot established tank that already has two big tangs, a coral beauty, a flame back angle, a pair of breeding clowns a few other small damsels and chromis. I don't want it to bully the smaller fish either

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sargeant majors are territorial & aggressive. If added to your tank last, maybe ok. What size tank do you have, what other fish are in your tank? They grow somewhat large & will aggressively defend their territory( sometimes the whole tank). Hope this helps

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be adding to a 5 foot established tank that already has two big tangs, a coral beauty, a flame back angle, a pair of breeding clowns a few other small damsels and chromis. I don't want it to bully the smaller fish either
I wouldn’t add it

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the likely outcome? The tangs don't take no **** so can't see it bothering them.
The outcome might be when added & they become established & grow bigger, the other fish might get attacked & killed, Sargeant Majors are aggressive & territorial, the tangs are big enough & can defend themselves, they should be ok

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're into them, visit Atlantis Bahamas and snorkel the central lagoon. There is a huge captive school of them you can swim with, and if you have some food it is a blast to have them swarm you and eat out of your hand. They get big, and certainly are aggressive!

Last edited:

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old post, however, I was doing search for a similar experience because I could believe what happen to me with that dang fish. I bought a dime sized sergeant major from Petco about three years ago and a power blue tang the same year, the first year the major grew 4 inches (one of my large fish In my tank) now for the past two years the major would chase of my convict tang due to similar patterns. Then he would lightly chase off my PBT. 3 days ago I was looking at my PBT and I said man he looks so nice no marks no ich and it’s chunky. Then yesterday I notice his body was all damaged and fins torn as if he dove into the rock work. Major d*** must of bit the PBT fins, he could hardly swim. In those three days he must rapidly lost weight as you can see his spine. Today he past away.

Stay away from majors if you can.
They become super aggressive
They get huge fast
Hard to catch
Kills fish
Messed up you sand!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this hobby started in the US in 1971 those nasty fish were the first fish sold. They were sold because to kill them you have to run them over twice with a school bus filled with Sumo wrestlers......Twice.

If you get them in your tank, you can never get rid of them and they never die. If you SCUBA dive with them, they will eat you. :anguished-face:

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this hobby started in the US in 1971 those nasty fish were the first fish sold. They were sold because to kill them you have to run them over twice with a school bus filled with Sumo wrestlers......Twice.

If you get them in your tank, you can never get rid of them and they never die. If you SCUBA dive with them, they will eat you. :anguished-face:
Sucks bro

KuyaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about setting up a 55-gallon sergeant major only tank. Any suggestions on how many I can stock in one tank?

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get big enough to eat!! I used to catch n eat em off my backyard boat dock on Grand Bahama Island. Yummy lil jerks. DONT put one in ya tank!!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back