Anybody use or using 0.1M Hydrochloric Acid instead of the reagent for the KH Director?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read that people are using Hydrochloric Acid instead of the reagents for various other testing machines such as KH Guardian and Alkatronic, has anybody used it on the KH Director?
I use Hydrochloric Acid at home so have it on tap so to speak and would save an absolute fortune if it was good to use.

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone as well and he has been using it for a month or so now.
So how is it used? Does it have to be diluted? Is it used in the same way as the reagent? Does it read the same as the reagent or is it higher lower which you have to take into consideration?

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from my buddy on the local forum and this is what he said:

i was using both to test and they gave same result so i have switch to the .1 hydrochloric and been using it for past week dumping waste back into sump. Haven’t seen any negative effect. my alkatronic uses the same and i have been dumping back to sump for 1 1/2 year. icp test came back normal. this the link to amazon

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on tap so to speak as I use it at home so it would be good to use rather than pay over the odds for a reagent which is basically the same stuff.
Although there might not be any negative results yet I wont flush it into my tank.
Be interesting to find more results from other people, a week of using isn't really conclusive.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the same thing for KHGuardian been dumping it in my tank for theee years no problem only thing I’m mad at is my acid was 60 dollars not 20

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix it up to this
7933B6A4-D3E2-48BE-9C37-7338834931B4.png

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the waste be disposed of through a sch40 PVC pipe, or does it need to be diluted. I dont run a doser yet but I assume since the doser tubes and other tubing needs to be replaced periodically, it's a non-issue, but my plans are to have a PVC drain pipe installed in the walls to dump all reagent waste (and AWC water change) and thus will be PVC permanent. If over time, I have to replace the PVC due to corrosion due to reagents (and HCL acid) the PVC drain wont work for me. TIA!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back