Anyone else disapointed by gyre pumps?

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about just dumping the whole thing into citric acid to soak and clean that way without taking it apart. In my case its more how my tank is close to wall, deep tank dimensions and taking them on/off the back wall of my tank without dropping magnet on floor is more my concern than the reassembly... If I ever get around to trying mine that way I'll let you know
Id make a makeshift pair of grippers after the 3rd time of dropping one and alright sounds like a plan

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking about just dumping the whole thing into citric acid to soak and clean that way without taking it apart. In my case its more how my tank is close to wall, deep tank dimensions and taking them on/off the back wall of my tank without dropping magnet on floor is more my concern than the reassembly... If I ever get around to trying mine that way I'll let you know
That is what I've done and it works great. It all comes down to how dirty you let them get before cleaning. If it's just coralline algae and surface algae, that method works just fine. If you let it get to the point where hair algae starts growing, then a toothbrush will have to be used as a final manual cleanup. The citric acid will kill it and turn it white, but not physically remove it.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my FX350's for the first time after about 6 months. I really didn't think it was a big deal. Just remove the pump, remove on side at a time, and give 'em a good scrub with a toothbrush after a short soak in a vinegar solution.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the need to take them out to clean them every 6 months I like my xf250s, not so much for my xf230s.
Larger version are quiet enough for my taste but the smaller version has a annoying whine any point over 20%. I have multiples of each and the xf230s have done this since out of their boxes.

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my FX350's for the first time after about 6 months. I really didn't think it was a big deal. Just remove the pump, remove on side at a time, and give 'em a good scrub with a toothbrush after a short soak in a vinegar solution.
Ive read from a few different places now that citric acid dosent dry out/harden rubber near as bad as vinegar, what are your thoughts on it?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sniffin' around some jabeo stuff. I know it's not held in high regard by most reefers, but I'm having a hard time finding people complaining about them!
After many brands and years and investigation. I have discovered as many others have, these are good products. Just because china made and cheap doesn’t mean value. I have spent fortune on MP 40 pumps and like as well and have much more numerous problems. I understand why people need to defend why they spend a fortune when already spent the money. After all we just need to move water. As you said you will find more complaints on the expensive brands. And the only negative comments are from people who haven’t owned them.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many brands and years and investigation. I have discovered as many others have, these are good products. Just because china made and cheap doesn’t mean value. I have spent fortune on MP 40 pumps and like as well and have much more numerous problems. I understand why people need to defend why they spend a fortune when already spent the money. After all we just need to move water. As you said you will find more complaints on the expensive brands. And the only negative comments are from people who haven’t owned them.
I've owned many Jabeo pumps. They are a solid value. They all performed well until they didn't, but they lasted long enough to justify their cost. Those Jabeo pumps went on the trash heap long ago, but the used MP40 I bought pretty cheap around the same time is still kicking butt. I'm hoping to get the same bang for the buck from my Fx350's. Like the MP40, they run at pretty low speed. I think that helps them last.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned many Jabeo pumps. They are a solid value. They all performed well until they didn't, but they lasted long enough to justify their cost. Those Jabeo pumps went on the trash heap long ago, but the used MP40 I bought pretty cheap around the same time is still kicking butt. I'm hoping to get the same bang for the buck from my Fx350's. Like the MP40, they run at pretty low speed. I think that helps them last.
I hear ya! Just saying for the cost of the MP 40’s there should be a lot less complaints awesome still working for you and others. I wish they lasted for me as the one thing I love is the external wire. Unfortunately, I have a junk yard of them now. Too many of the infamous death blink noted by many. I am sure my jabeo s will die someday but still going strong after oldest 3 years old. This is why I jumped right to the jabeo wave maker knock off of the gyre! I just didn’t see risking the higher cost again. It is so easy to clean as well! OP, good luck

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back