Anyone else disapointed by gyre pumps?

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

Wanted to collect other reefers thoughts here, for personal development and other future reefers that might be considering a grye.

My honest thoughts...
Initially i was sold on the youtube vids and reviews. But after having a maxpect gyre for ex amount of time now it just bugs me!

I reallu dislike the flow its so bland and so hard to get into a good position where your at least somewhat happy.

Did i mention once you get you pump past 60% speed its noisy? No well wowser listen out for eee awwww hummm hummm hummm followed by a very loud hummmmmmm!!! Ugh it drives me bonkers lol

Now running these thing in a true wave mode on/off did i mention sometimes they dont click back over on some cycles, like "ah no, lets not give you a continuoes bouncy water effect" instead choosing when it wants to turn on.

Ive asked a few peeps now including the shop i bought it from and seems to be the norm?

What do others think? Is it faulty and the store are being well "you know". Or does the gyre just really disapoint?

Fyi ive ordered 2x Wave makers to see if i can get my desired flow(hopefully without the noise).

As always...
Happy reefing

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I observed that they didn’t stay long in my lfs when these first came out but a lot of modifications were made to the original versions. I liked your descriptions of their sound output as I’ve noticed that they do seem to die a loud death. :)

Im not sold on my current wave pumps and their controllers either but as long as the water is moving I live with them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

Wanted to collect other reefers thoughts here, for personal development and other future reefers that might be considering a grye.

My honest thoughts...
Initially i was sold on the youtube vids and reviews. But after having a maxpect gyre for ex amount of time now it just bugs me!

I reallu dislike the flow its so bland and so hard to get into a good position where your at least somewhat happy.

Did i mention once you get you pump past 60% speed its noisy? No well wowser listen out for eee awwww hummm hummm hummm followed by a very loud hummmmmmm!!! Ugh it drives me bonkers lol

Now running these thing in a true wave mode on/off did i mention sometimes they dont click back over on some cycles, like "ah no, lets not give you a continuoes bouncy water effect" instead choosing when it wants to turn on.

Ive asked a few peeps now including the shop i bought it from and seems to be the norm?

What do others think? Is it faulty and the store are being well "you know". Or does the gyre just really disapoint?

Fyi ive ordered 2x Wave makers to see if i can get my desired flow(hopefully without the noise).

As always...
Happy reefing

Sorry you aren't happy with your Maxpect.

I'm happy with IceCap. Instead I have IceCap 4K gyres, and they are doing exactly what I expected after watching BRS video. Setup nearly had me throw them out on day 1, but rewatched their setup videos (and went BlueTooth instead of wifi) and once configured LOVE them. Also easy to clean. No sound, but I also have them dialed down as I also have 2 MP40s and other powerheads I don't recall along back of my 180g. Your post is the first negative Maxpect gyre feedback I've come across...

Glad I went cheaper than Maxpect and got IceCap, given your post.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I have a xf350 for a handful of years now. I have never cleaned it and never had any failures ore repairs. Some complain of reliability, but mine has been good. I also have a basement fish room, so I could never hear any noise. I hate the static and linear flow. It moves a lot of water, but not the way that I like and I still have Tunze 6105s in the tank.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they move water but definitely not a game changer for me. I like the slim profile. That's about it. It doesn't really do any wave action, no matter what settings I've tried over the last 2 years. I still use it, but I doubt I'll buy another. But I might, they are fairly cheap for the amount of flow. A pair would probably be more useful. One just doesn't cut it. Regardless of how they were advertising them when new. They get dirty fast, and cleaning makes a big difference it watwr movement. I do t like cleaning pumps, so again, probably gonna pass on getting more

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two RedSea ReefWave 45's on the back wall and they do a great job. They are wifi and the app is suitable. Running them in a random wave pattern at 65% for most of the day except for reverse flow at 100% for one hour from 8-9pm. They are silent and easy to clean. Very pleased with them to this point.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy my xf350s on my 120g I wouldn’t want them on a bigger tank tho because my flow is at 100%. Only gripe I have is the reverse flow, not sure if I’ve installed the propellers backwards but the flow doesn’t feel right. it’s more diagonal then downward and far weaker.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two FX350s on my 90. Yea... way overkill. I have sand so even 30% for very long is prone to move sand around. They run forward @ 30% for a few second and reverse at 10% for about 10 seconds. I'll agree that the reverse flow is more diagonal than down. They do move a lot of water though and, I haven't cleaned them since I got them about 4 months ago. I like them for circulation. I also run an MP40 on pulse @ about 30% to add a little more random flow. The old MP40 with a new model wet side is louder.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm happy with IceCap. Instead I have IceCap 4K gyres, and they are doing exactly what I expected after watching BRS video. Setup nearly had me throw them out on day 1, but rewatched their setup videos (and went BlueTooth instead of wifi) and once configured LOVE them. Also easy to clean. No sound, but I also have them dialed down as I also have 2 MP40s and other powerheads I don't recall along back of my 180g. Your post is the first negative Maxpect gyre feedback I've come across...

I'm with Fish on the IceCaps. I've got the 2Ks. A pair on either end and 1/2 a gyre on the back wall to flow behind the rocks. Initial set up is a bit tricky but once set they do a good job. I've got an extra so switching out a dirty one is easy. I'd been pretty frustrated with them for a while until I realized I'd misunderstood something. I thought you couldn't set them below 25% so was having trouble with flow because they were pushing against each other so decent flow wasn't making it all the way to each end of the tank. Once I figured out you can set them to turn off while the other is running I'm much happier! I also just recently added a WaveEngine so I can run all three off of it rather than two separate controllers. They are also dead silent.

OP
OP
C

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

My honest thoughts...

As always...
Happy reefing
Can confirm as of far, happy with new purchase!

Getting a nice sway with my corals, heaps more quiet and they pack a nice punch!

Ive now given my gyre the complex task of tumbling my cheato in the sump! Its perfect for the task.

Happy reefing!

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im thinking about going with the icecap 4k but i dont have wifi where i live, i have a hotspot on my phone i can use for setup if needed but was wondering if u could tell me more about the blutooth on it and see if its its something viable for me as i need 4 split between 2- 40 breeders

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only gripe I have is cleaning them. Mechanically, I think they operate very well with great flow, but taking them apart to clean them and then back together just bugs me.
160 bucks for an ultra sonic cleaner on amazon im gonna try one and see if itll wrk

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about going with the icecap 4k but i dont have wifi where i live, i have a hotspot on my phone i can use for setup if needed but was wondering if u could tell me more about the blutooth on it and see if its its something viable for me as i need 4 split between 2- 40 breeders

App has a bluetooth icon you click to communicate instead of wifi. Use bluetooth between your phone and controller to program gyre controller; my wifi gave me problems so I just do bluetooth (but wifi is default, so I have to click bluetooth icon each time as it doesn't remember I last (and only) used bluetooth). Recommend watching their videos for setup. I watched videos in prep of arrival, but watched again during setup to setup as not the most intuitive (for me).

vinnyvidivici92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
App has a bluetooth icon you click to communicate instead of wifi. Use bluetooth between your phone and controller to program gyre controller; my wifi gave me problems so I just do bluetooth (but wifi is default, so I have to click bluetooth icon each time as it doesn't remember I last (and only) used bluetooth). Recommend watching their videos for setup. I watched videos in prep of arrival, but watched again during setup to setup as not the most intuitive (for me).
Awesome, that makes me happy to hear, what are your thoughts on placement? Im preping my first reef tank and thinking i may put them verticaly along back wall and front wall to get an east west flow and see what happens

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only gripe I have is cleaning them. Mechanically, I think they operate very well with great flow, but taking them apart to clean them and then back together just bugs me.
160 bucks for an ultra sonic cleaner on amazon im gonna try one and see if itll wrk

I've been thinking about just dumping the whole thing into citric acid to soak and clean that way without taking it apart. In my case its more how my tank is close to wall, deep tank dimensions and taking them on/off the back wall of my tank without dropping magnet on floor is more my concern than the reassembly... If I ever get around to trying mine that way I'll let you know

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, that makes me happy to hear, what are your thoughts on placement? Im preping my first reef tank and thinking i may put them verticaly along back wall and front wall to get an east west flow and see what happens

Try it - they are easy to move so if you like it, leave it, and if you don't then move them - you'll have oodles of options with two

Back