Anyone else experiencing constant Versa failures?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start off and be as transparent as possible about this, EcoTech has replaced each pump I mention below through their program and only costing me $1 each time.

But here is what I am wondering, is anyone else experiencing their pumps failing regularly? I have two Versa pumps performing my AWC for my tank. As I understand it, they are designed to be constant use pumps and that is why I chose them over others for my AWC system. I run them for 16 hours a day and they run at an 8.33 mL/min rate. They are running slowly and I assume that is better for them generally long term but that is again, just an assumption.

The problem I am constantly having is that every pump EcoTech replaces faces the same issue where after a few weeks they just stop working. Each time they make a noise as if they are jammed and no longer will spin. I have disassembled them to inspect, clean, re-lube with the included lubricant, and yet nothing works. Time after time they all end up failing in this same way yet there does not seem to be anyone else having this sort of issue. Are people just not posting about it since the replacement program is fairly generous with EcoTech? I am now on I believe my 5th replacement Versa in about 18 months and it just seems crazy to me that I am the only one experiencing this. Even the most recent replacement I received sounded loud compared to the one that I had running and did not give me much hope it would last. Just today I heard a clicking from my sump area that sounded like a snail found it's way into my return pump yet I found the Versa I had replaced 2 months ago was stuck and making a clicking noise; yet another failure.

So what gives? Is anyone else having random but fairly consistent issues with their Versa? Am I just insanely unlucky? Am I doing something wrong here?

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I don’t enjoy hearing that. I have a bank of 4 of them. Previously, the only issue was one of the pumps losing power due to an ill fitting power bank. Now that same pump (dosing Kalkwasser) is making noise.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I don’t enjoy hearing that. I have a bank of 4 of them. Previously, the only issue was one of the pumps losing power due to an ill fitting power bank. Now that same pump (dosing Kalkwasser) is making noise.

It seems like the tolerances of the pumps are just super tight. So if anything even looks at it the wrong way it gets jammed and won't consistently turn/pump. I can freely spin them when this happens but even with a full cleaning, they will eventually jam again. With mine being AWC pumps, if one fails I end up with a pretty big issue as the other is still running and either pumping in too much fresh salt water or it pulls out too much dirty water and kicks on my ATO which is becomes a salinity issue.

It just seems like when they work they are great but the pumps don't really have much room for error when it comes to how much lubrication they have or if anything seems to get gummed up. I have resorted to monthly full tear down and cleanings to prevent this but it is becoming a pain considering that even while doing this they still seem to jam eventually and require an exchange via warranty.

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have narrowed this issue down as much as I can. It seems to be either a software issue or an issue with the stepper motor itself, not the gears or main assembly. I just opened a support ticket with Ecotech and will see what they say by early next week but it's just getting frustrating not being able to rely on these pumps for more than a month or two considering I am hardly pushing the limits of what they claim to be capable of.

So here are some videos of the issue. Both with and without the gears attached as part of the main assembly. This is the exact same issue I have had now 3 times with these pumps, each being eventually replaced by Ecotech under warranty. The pump is mounted to my tank cabinet away from water (obviously) and normally placed in the normal orientation.

What's most interesting is that when I factory reset the pump it usually operates for a few days once the first sign of this issue happens. After a few days though it happens again fairly predictably which makes it seem like it is either a software issue or something tied to the electronics/components themselves. The dark area you see with the gear removed is the Molykote 111 compound if it's not obvious from the video.

I really hope Ecotech can figure this out and make these things much more reliable.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 6 versas. 4 of them have been in operation for almost 2 years, the other 2 for one. No issues with any of them. They all run daily for anywhere between 15 mins (for dosing trace elements, etc. once or twice per day) and 1 hour (for dosing 2-ptart hourly).

OP
OP
certain_code

certain_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 versas. 4 of them have been in operation for almost 2 years, the other 2 for one. No issues with any of them. They all run daily for anywhere between 15 mins (for dosing trace elements, etc. once or twice per day) and 1 hour (for dosing 2-ptart hourly).

Teach me your ways! Haha!

I literally do not touch the pumps once I set them up. In fact they are probably the most "set and forget" thing on my tank yet one of them consistently fails on me and ends up bringing my AWC completely off line and thus maes both useless while I wait for the replacement.

I only have the two currently running my AWC system. I really was hoping to increase this number over time for dosing major elements and eventually for my ATO. The constant warranty issues have stopped that from happening so far along with waiting for the MXM to control them and ideally allowing for an intelligent ATO. I really want to love these pumps, they check all the boxes, but maybe I am just getting unlucky here?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope you're just unlucky. Fortunately, they have great customer service, but at the end of the day, if it keep happening, you might be better of with a different AWC solution.

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My versa constantly stalls doing kalk
I have it set up to dose 4l a day with more dosed at night to help with ph but it
constantly stalls. Then about a month ago it completely froze and just made a clicked noise - EcoTech replaced it under warranty but the new replacement stalls just like the first. Pretty much every 2-3 days I have to wipe the programme and enter a new one and then it works again.

Maybe not as risky as the op as it doesn’t affect salinity but still highly annoying.

reefkeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My versa constantly stalls doing kalk
I have it set up to dose 4l a day with more dosed at night to help with ph but it
constantly stalls. Then about a month ago it completely froze and just made a clicked noise - EcoTech replaced it under warranty but the new replacement stalls just like the first. Pretty much every 2-3 days I have to wipe the programme and enter a new one and then it works again.

Maybe not as risky as the op as it doesn’t affect salinity but still highly annoying.
I have the exact same problem, lost 4 days (20L) of Kalk on my vacation. Worse yet, I knew it was happening, I could see it on the camera and the alkalinity results from my Apex. I would love this pump if it was reliabLe and controllable over the internet. Whoever runs product at echo-tech that decided Bluetooth was a better solution than Wi-Fi is clueless on how these pumps are used…

Anyone using this for automation of water changes is very bold.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see the link below. I've experienced the same issue and have had to revert to continuous mode for reliability. Custom mode breaks with any sort of significant volumes.

Kevin80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the same issue here... First pump stalled after 2 months dosing kalk, replacement after a month. I expected better for the price I paid for it.

SCMReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in the process of returning my Versa 4 pack. I read reviews and comparisons until I was blue in the face. I have other Echotech equipment (MP40’s and G5 Pro’s, etc). I love their stuff. All of my equipment has run flawlessly.

I pulled the trigger on the 4 pack and had issues with it out of the box. Got a brand new unit through their exchange program and everything seemed to be working fine for about 2 weeks and then one pump stopped powering up (now the other is giving me an error). This is all within about a month. For $800 bucks, I expected these to be bulletproof. Needless to say, they’re going back. Echotech has great customer service but I just don’t feel like dealing with it anymore and miss my return window.

A little background, I upgraded from Kamoer’s which have worked perfect for 2-3 years (still work perfectly fine). Another thing I didn’t like was that they sucked air into the lines (my Kamoers always held pressure). I’m going to try the Reefdose 4 and am hoping for better results. I’m really disappointed they didn’t work for me.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a versa on Aug 2nd, and it failed by Aug 23.

Jammed with vibration and clicking noise. If I turn the pump off, I could spin the gear using an allen key after removing the cover. I could rotate it smoothly in full rotation, no grinding or rough patches. But when powered on, nothing. I'm leaning toward the actual motor failing.

Ecotech replaced it, just got the new one yesterday. Not gonna lie, the $1 is pretty annoying.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Efff. This scares me a lot.

I have been using Ecotech for well over a decade. I love their stuff.

I bought a Versa 4 pack years ago and set it up for dosing and ATO.

I kept this pack, and purchased 3 additional 4 packs to use for my 3 QT systems. Despite my fanboy devotion level for this brand, i simply will not fret over equipment.

i was planning on setting these up within the next couple weeks. If there is not a permanent fix for this problem before then, I'll throw them up on the boards (still in boxes, original wrapping) and find something that i don't have to worry about.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Efff. This scares me a lot.

I have been using Ecotech for well over a decade. I love their stuff.

I bought a Versa 4 pack years ago and set it up for dosing and ATO.

I kept this pack, and purchased 3 additional 4 packs to use for my 3 QT systems. Despite my fanboy devotion level for this brand, i simply will not fret over equipment.

i was planning on setting these up within the next couple weeks. If there is not a permanent fix for this problem before then, I'll throw them up on the boards (still in boxes, original wrapping) and find something that i don't have to worry about.
I don't know if it's THAT bad.

I have two versa's, one broke, one didn't. Ecotech replaced it the day after I called in.

I will say, the kamoer pro t that I bought 3 years ago, hasn't had any issues. And it has wifi capability, where the versa is bluetooth only.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know if it's THAT bad.
LOL. I freak out when I see this stuff. It's a combo of literally not having any extra time to troubleshoot or tend to equipment that is not working as designed/implemented, and the fact that I literally have the worst luck in the world. If this is happening to 5 out of 500, mine will surely be one of the 5. And, I'll have 16 total pumps running on tanks that I will rely on while out of town which is pretty frequently.

I have two versa's, one broke, one didn't. Ecotech replaced it the day after I called in.
Good to know issues on only one. I have had excellent CS experience with Ecotech, and I'm sure they would make it right. I just don't have time to fiddle with the stuff.

I will say, the kamoer pro t that I bought 3 years ago, hasn't had any issues. And it has wifi capability, where the versa is bluetooth only.
hmmm will take a look at this.

Thanks

epicfatigue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the inner bearings on the stepper motor changed many of them not a fun task. They come with really cheap Chinese ones.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Folks, can i be honest? I get more angry every time i check in on this thread. I've been an Ecotech fanboy since their startup and up until the last year, would have died on the Ecotech hill.

Exorbitant prices for medíocre-at-best hardware? Software that can't perform the most basic tasks, or has the most fundamental capabilities? CS that doesn't understand their product? Enormous supply gaps with literally no communication on next inventory or backorder recovery? Profits pilfered on a forum to advertise whilst absolutely refusing to interact with a mostly loyal, supportive customer base? No thanks. I've grown, and over the course of the last couple years, regressed by Ecotech's side, waiting for them to make the enhancements that many newer, cheaper companies perfected years ago. LOL at still waiting around for WiFi capability, and catastrophic failures due to not being able to maintain correct time/date/century in programming.

What a painful and sad de-evolution into the worst-of-all-worlds business/customer experience model from the previous heavyweight reef champions of the industry. I didn't realize it at the time, but I made my very last Ecotech purchase last year. Soon, i will have sold off the last Ecotech gear i will ever use. Tonight I'll make my last post, re: Ecotech.

On to companies with not only better products, but mostly (by a mile) a company who values me as a customer, and wants to earn my business.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back