Anyone else keeping a long history of your testing results?

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping test results since 2012 in this spreadsheet, it's pretty neat to see when things have been tough and when they got back under control and how certain measurements have stabilized over time as I've learned to manage them better. Anyone else keeping records like this?

Also - if you want to start keeping records you could copy my google doc and repurpose it for yourself! It's got auto-cell coloring based on set ranges (customizable), and tabs across the bottom to view trends over time for each test.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping test results since 2012 in this spreadsheet, it's pretty neat to see when things have been tough and when they got back under control and how certain measurements have stabilized over time as I've learned to manage them better. Anyone else keeping records like this?

Also - if you want to start keeping records you could copy my google doc and repurpose it for yourself! It's got auto-cell coloring based on set ranges (customizable), and tabs across the bottom to view trends over time for each test.

This is awesome! I store mine in an app but only have about a years worth and it's not very well formatted its so hard to see longterm trends. How do I transfer this to my own Google?

OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do this! I love spreadsheets!!
I will be doing a new one for my new tank. Glad I'm not the only crazy one!!
Nice!! Spreadsheets are a passion of mine too!
I'd love to see how other peoples tanks trend with their testing - would you mind sharing your new tank test sheet here when you get it started?

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made very similar sheets in google as well. Easy to input results on phone.
That said, mine scrolled east to west and is becoming a real pain. I've been meaning to reformat and start again. You just saved me an hour or so. TY ;Shamefullyembarrased

OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I store mine in an app but only have about a years worth and it's not very well formatted its so hard to see longterm trends. How do I transfer this to my own Google?
If you open the link in google spreadsheets and go to file>make a copy you can have your own version - then just delete the cell content after the first 2 rows in the 'data' tab and start testing! :p
Would love to see it when you get your data transferred - I'm super curious how other tanks trend over time.

OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made very similar sheets in google as well. Easy to input results on phone.
That said, mine scrolled east to west and is becoming a real pain. I've been meaning to reformat and start again. You just saved me an hour or so. TY ;Shamefullyembarrased
Haha glad i could help! :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great idea, thanks for sharing, comrade

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! If you start using it would you mind sharing here? I'm really interested in seeing how other peoples testing trends look. :)
I've been back since 10/2017, either I write in my journal or on frig next to DT at my lab (aka shipping container). Will do

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spreadsheet similar to your's for test results and I also have a google drive document for journaling empirical observations, research, etc. It's easy to update via the google drive app on my phone so if I notice something I note it. I started doing this for my planted tank a half a year ago and it was invaluable enough that I made sure to start it for the reef (only been running 2 months), too.

Here's a list of the types of things I journal:
  • Addition of livestock
  • Observations of newly added livestock
  • How much I had to add to adjust newly mixed saltwater to match the tank
  • Exactly how I mixed things I'm dosing so I can mix it exactly the same later.
  • Changes to feeding regimen
  • Changes to powerheads
  • Changes to lighting
  • Changes to dosing pump settings
  • Changes to apex fusion settings (ie: feed cycle program changes, light duration changes, temperature changes)
  • Skimmate observations if I notice a change
  • Coral polyp extension changes
  • Changes to feeding responses
  • When fish start eating food they wouldn't eat before
  • Interpretation of scientific papers I've read, along with citation information so I can reference it again later.
Here's a screenshot of a snippet of my journal:
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 11.55.33 AM.png

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this for quite a while, too, but stopped back when I got busy with the Alkalinity Monitor project a little over 3 years ago. The one chart that I was most proud of in my spreadsheet was this one. The pale blue dots is the older, historical data, and the brighter blue dots is the more recent data, and the one with the big red dot is the most recent data point. This chart is based upon @Randy Holmes-Farley's article found here (although the site is having certificate issues at the moment).

AlkCaBalance.jpg

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if anyone would wants this, but here is an empty Speadsheet I use as well. I will share my data when it gets filled in again!

Note: You have to go into the data Tab to fill out your info in the Tanks/Sump section. You can also add anything you need to add to the drop-down selectable lists throughout the spreadsheet. Its still a work in progress but I don't mind sharing if anyone wants a starting point.

Attachments

• Tank-Empty.xlsx
    517.4 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote this a while ago :) Notes are great stuff to have! We started up our spread sheets around 2010-2011 I think.
That's an amazing article! The tracking of bulbs is something I wish id been more on top of up until now, haha I honestly couldn't say with much accuracy when I last changed some of my bulbs.

OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if anyone would wants this, but here is an empty Speadsheet I use as well. I will share my data when it gets filled in again!

Note: You have to go into the data Tab to fill out your info in the Tanks/Sump section. You can also add anything you need to add to the drop-down selectable lists throughout the spreadsheet. Its still a work in progress but I don't mind sharing if anyone wants a starting point.
Thanks for sharing! There's so many ways to track this stuff just with a simple excel spreadsheet, it's awesome.
This would be a sweet way for beginners to ask for help too it just occured to me, would be way easier for people to suggest areas to focus on at least.

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping a daily log for a couple years now in an app called aquatic log that I’m real happy with. Helps to see trends & keeps track of stability for me

OP
OP
little_sardines

little_sardines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping a daily log for a couple years now in an app called aquatic log that I’m real happy with. Helps to see trends & keeps track of stability for me
That's awesome, have you been able to catch something because you could see a pattern in your results?

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, have you been able to catch something because you could see a pattern in your results?
it’s more about stability with tests for me, I can then adjust dosing along with reminders so I can remember to do everything maintenance wise on a regular basis

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back