Anyone else use a battery backup on a circulation pump in case of power outage?

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After noticing my FOWLR light system loses its programming during a power outage, then comes on full blast when power is restored I decided to put a battery backup on the lights. The Texas power grid is plagued with monetary interruptions and if it happens in the middle of the night, it's a waking experience.

I figured I'd connect my recirculation pump to it as well. Anyone else doing this? How satisfied are you with the results? I'm getting about 2.5 hours of runtime out of an 850VA backup system. That number drops if it happens when the lights are on of course.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but as you pointed out not much of a run time. Consiedering how long power can be out I've found small battery operated air pumps (like Penn Plax B11) that turn on automaticly when power is lost is a good way to keep a tank areated for days if needed. FWIW there are plenty of DIY videos online showing how to build power stations that can run pumps for a day or more for a lot less than commercial units like Bluetti or Jackery.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but as you pointed out not much of a run time. Consiedering how long power can be out I've found small battery operated air pumps (like Penn Plax B11) that turn on automaticly when power is lost is a good way to keep a tank areated for days if needed. FWIW there are plenty of DIY videos online showing how to build power stations that can run pumps for a day or more for a lot less than commercial units like Bluetti or Jackery.
Agreed, I also used a battery air stone when my power was out for 13 hours. Actually the main problem with power outages is maintaining tank temperature. My tank got down to mid 60s one time and 82 degrees another time the power went out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back