power outage air stone battery replacement frequency

ManyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at power outage backup options, and I wasn't happy with paying a ton for a UPS that would only power my pump for 2 hours at best. Discovered Penn Plax makes air stones that auto power on from an outage which would work great for a day or even two.

Question is how often would you need to replace the D batteries before they drain?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the battery leaks, it should maintain its advertised shelf life when not in use. The only concern would be if it does leak, it may ruin the device it’s installed in. Just check once a month or so to make sure the alkaline cells haven’t leaked

Upvote 0

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this, internal rechargeable battery, has a USB connection to run off a USB power bank if needed long term. You can set it so that it only comes on if the AC power cuts off, or just use as a regular pump which switches from AC to battery when needed.

Upvote 0

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to use a few of them a long time ago and I remember them running non-stop for about a day and a half. But I wouldn't rely on them for anything more than 5-10 gals though.

Upvote 0

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at power outage backup options, and I wasn't happy with paying a ton for a UPS that would only power my pump for 2 hours at best. Discovered Penn Plax makes air stones that auto power on from an outage which would work great for a day or even two.

Question is how often would you need to replace the D batteries before they drain?
Do you have a DC return pump/wave maker (e.g. Ecotech Vectra/Vortech) that supports battery backup? If so, you can get a LiFePO4 battery for under $100 that can run for days. This is what I have connected to a MP40. It can run for 36+ hrs at 20% load.

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 23
Upvote 0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this, internal rechargeable battery, has a USB connection to run off a USB power bank if needed long term. You can set it so that it only comes on if the AC power cuts off, or just use as a regular pump which switches from AC to battery when needed.

Also have these, better than the D cell ones.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back