Power is out! How do you get through power outages?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas/Propane Generator.
I have a 4kw Wen on standby for situations like this.

Unless you want to spend thousands on a lifepo generator, there isn't much you can use on a reef tank to last the night / few hours.

Of course if you live in a condo where your neighbors/Hoa will raise hell from the noise a gas generator makes, the LifePo generator maybe your only option.

Id get at least a 6KWh unit depending on how large your reef tank is.
If its a small one, and heater isn't important i guess you can get by with a 2kwh unit.

But remember heaters are the biggest power hogs, as you can just run lights off during the black out.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power again for another 2.5 days! VERY grateful for the generator but am now looking at shorter term options that would kick on automatically and buy me some time (if I'm at work or away when the power goes out, and need a few hours before the genny can be started). EcoTech might be the answer, or if we can find a way to do something similar!

Really interesting to see everyone's unique situations :)
Your tank prob would be ok up to 4 hrs with out power before remediation is needed

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We lost power recently and even though all the pumps/powerheads/controllers ran off the batteries until power was restored I realized how unprepared I was with running generators in s___ show rain.

It's good to have a generator or two but when its pouring like crazy they are as useful as that left over 2-by-4 in the corner of my garage.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost power again for another 2.5 days! VERY grateful for the generator but am now looking at shorter term options that would kick on automatically and buy me some time (if I'm at work or away when the power goes out, and need a few hours before the genny can be started). EcoTech might be the answer, or if we can find a way to do something similar!

Really interesting to see everyone's unique situations :)

Well you can use the coralview Kraken and attach it to a 100ah battery.
That should be able to hold up until you can get your generator up and running.

If i had thousands of dollars in corals, and some you can never get anymore again, id probably go this route, but use a 200ah lipofe4 battery, as like all things in insurance is only used when needed, and its not cheap, but will save you if done correctly.

OP
OP
sugar

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can use the coralview Kraken and attach it to a 100ah battery.
That should be able to hold up until you can get your generator up and running.

If i had thousands of dollars in corals, and some you can never get anymore again, id probably go this route, but use a 200ah lipofe4 battery, as like all things in insurance is only used when needed, and its not cheap, but will save you if done correctly.

This is the case for me. Or, it was with my last tank anyways... I had put X amount of money into my corals, fish and other inverts that a small generator wouldn't come near to the same cost but definitely worth it for the insurance alone!

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EcoTech might be the answer
I got the EcoTech battery backup for my MP40 ( just in case ) I'm not home.
The battery doesn't last forever, but it's super easy to change.
Changing out the battery every 3 years, gives me peace of mind.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just changed the battery on my Vortech battery backup, It was so easy that I feel stupid I didnt do it sooner.
Now I have some pierce of mind. Last time we lost power for a few hours at night I shot up and ran downstairs and stirred water like a mad man every 15 minutes. Since my battery is going on 6 years who knows how long ago it worked but I suspect it died year 4 or 5.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gas powered generator.
Wired into my house with it's own circuit box.
Have about 3/4 of my house powered.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back