Power outage help

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice please. Tornado hit our area yesterday and we are experiencing a power outage. Have battery powered pump going in the main tank. Nothing running in the sump. So far everything is okay. When we get power back do I need to pull the media out of the sump and change the water in the sump. Ty

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice please. Tornado hit our area yesterday and we are experiencing a power outage. Have battery powered pump going in the main tank. Nothing running in the sump. So far everything is okay. When we get power back do I need to pull the media out of the sump and change the water in the sump. Ty
Do you have a generator? I would run some equipment off of that if possible. That is always my backup plan for power outages.

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sump remains stagnant for more than a couple days I'd change out the media and water before bringing it back online. I've done that after hurricanes and it seemed to work. I don't know if it's necessary but it felt right to me. Good luck

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had power out for three weeks at my house. Ran pumps for about 20 minutes twice a day and all was fine. Would be more concerned about temps than flow

OP
OP
SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am keeping room w tank between 72 and 76 w a kerosene heater. Going to put one of the air pumps in the sump and keep one in the tank. Hopefully power back late tonight. Been using a turkey master to also help w flow.

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 - 76 should be okay unless you have really fragile fish or corals. I even think some big aquariums keep their tanks in the low-mid 70s to save on food (low temp = lower metabolism) and power. I’ve personally had my tank drop to 69 degrees during a power outage without any ill effects, but I wouldn’t recommend that.

From what I’ve read, flow and getting the water oxygenated is the most important thing during an outage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back