Return not working

garyisrael

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2024
Messages
16
Reaction score
28
Location
Nashville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I had a power outage and now my return pump is working but return water back to sump is minimal causing overflow of the main display tank. I’ve tried slowing the flow but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
 
Does the tank have a gate value on the drain to the sump? If so open it all the way up. If not maybe something is stuck in the drain line?
I have ball valves. It’s a 180 with dual corner supply and returns. I’m thinking maybe sponge is clogging up the works. Every time I shut down the pump to do a water change when I turn it back on tons of sponge pieces blow out.
 
What kind of stand pipe are you running. If it’s a Dorso would check that the little breather holes at the top are not clogged with salt.
 
What kind of stand pipe are you running. If it’s a Dorso would check that the little breather holes at the top are not clogged with salt.
Thanks. Did that. I’m at the point now that I’m thinking about hooking up my shop vac to the return pipe at the sump and pulling then blowing to see if anything pops loose…
 
Last night I had a power outage and now my return pump is working but return water back to sump is minimal causing overflow of the main display tank. I’ve tried slowing the flow but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Yes I had the same thing happen when I slowed the flow back to the sump by blocking it with a sponge. Check for a blokage
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new