One Stop Tank Power Back-Up - Would you buy it?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With other parts, that may or may not be needed, I don't know, you might be around $1k but this allows Daisy chained batteries.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re-read post 1. He has a concept / method of having a power strip/surge protector connected to a infinite number of batteries. And he wants to know if there is a market for this type of inverter

I mean I’m excited to see what happens to a 5 dollar inverter run at high load and 100% duty cycle. Could be fun.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about myself. I have 11.7kW of solar, and a 12kW generator (no transfer switch), dual fuel with 500 gallon propane tank. The $9k doesn't make a standby worth it, when I only need 7-8 hours max, until I get home. I have built an inverter and charger setup to get me through what I need on my curreny FW setup.

The question is, for the people that aren't tech savvy, what are the options? It's my friends that ask me to build them what I have, that I am wondering about. I've seen the power-packs but they don't want to spend $1k+.

I'm currently looking at making such a unit for half the price. Question is would people use it?
People will always buy a cheaper unit if it does the job.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would combine an inverter and charger and would be able to handle up to a full 15-20A circuit. Any battery type would be acceptable. It would have a built in transfer switch.

Pre-wired for immediate use, just add battery.
Could be hard wired in line at the breaker panel.

Price around $500 including all wires, just add 12v battery.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With other parts, that may or may not be needed, I don't know, you might be around $1k but this allows Daisy chained batteries.
So my original design had it going back to 24v or 36v, but then I started to notice that there was a ton of variation between different models and brands and started to realize that trying to stick with something universal, like a NEMA 5-15 would be the most user friendly.

I feel like a lot of what's on the market is brand specific. I feel like a lot of people have a mix, so trying to address the whole lot of items.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the ones meant to back up low power devices. Gotcha. The tower units (goofy ones people next to computers), rack mount, and system ones are all serviceable. Honestly though for any system larger than 50 gallons you can put together a battery back up and auto-start generator solution for 1200-1500USD.
Finally got upstairs today... yeah this one. Works great for a modem, router, and PoE switch. But not serviceable.
20240323_131751.jpg

cmiller17363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a samlex inverter 12v, 600 watt would be good. Very reliable, minimal standby draw, and plenty of output.

It would be cool to come up with a weatherproof/waterproof rated setup with modular batteries that can simply plug in with an XT60 or XT90.

I think a lithium solar generator is going to be hard to beat, though. The competition among companies has pushed prices down and quality up. Finding an aquarium specific angle for the product would be paramount to the success of the product.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like a samlex inverter 12v, 600 watt would be good. Very reliable, minimal standby draw, and plenty of output.

It would be cool to come up with a weatherproof/waterproof rated setup with modular batteries that can simply plug in with an XT60 or XT90.

I think a lithium solar generator is going to be hard to beat, though. The competition among companies has pushed prices down and quality up. Finding an aquarium specific angle for the product would be paramount to the success of the product.
So I have come up with something, but the problem is production. Chinese production requires a minimum purchase of 100 pieces, but once you add shipping and tariffs, it is almost 5 times more then the cost to make the product.

Trying to find North American manufactures now.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look on YouTube for people who make their own "solar" generators. AKA large capacity lipo batteries and a power inverter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back