Making a smart power play: Do you use an automated electrical power strip?

Do you use an automated electrical power strip? (select all that apply)

• I have multiple automated electrical power strips.

Votes: 105 44.3%
  • I have only one automated electrical power strip.

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • I have multiple non-automated electrical power strips.

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • I have only one non-automated electrical power strip.

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • I do not have any electrical power strips.

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Making a smart power play: Do you use an automated electrical power strip?

Although it might not be the most exciting topic, most of us have some type of electrical power strip connected to our tanks. There are long strips and short strips, automated strips and non-automated strips, and ones that are for simple utility and others that include many additional features. Whether you power strip has WIFI or not, safety and functionality are important elements of a power strip for your reef tank. Please tell us if you use an automated electrical power strip. If so, feel free to share pictures and let us know any specific tips or recommendations that you have about power strips in the related R2R discussion thread.

Nanojoe_PowerStrip.png

Photo by @Nanojoe

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
I have two power strips on each tank. 1 of them on my new tank has half of the power outlets controllable and the other half always on. I also have 8 additional controlled outlets between the other three power strips. All my lights are on controllers so they're on "always on" outlets and then my pumps, powerheads, Plank, and skimmers are on the controlled outlets.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eb832 on my Apex if that counts
If not I also have several of the Kasa smart power strips and standalone plugs. I absolutely love them and they’re cheap.
I am glad to hear that, I just got 2 of the kasa hs300, and was going to use one on the penn 25 i got setup

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to hear that, I just got 2 of the kasa hs300, and was going to use one on the penn 25 i got setup
I have a few of those and many of the standalone power outlets. The power strips are better because they also allow for power monitoring. Plus I have several of the Kasa light switches and cameras throughout my house. Ive never had a problem with any of their products.

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four Apex EB units, two EB832 and two older EB8. One non-automated strip, not direct connected to the tank running misc items like portable work lights in my fish room with their own on/off switches.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have various but as others have said; the Kasa strips are amazing. They even tell you power usage of each outlet.
I didn't realize this until one day I was messing around in the app and my jaw just dropped when I clicked on my heater controller socket!

I've since bought two more that we use throughout the house for non-aquarium items so we can monitor other devices. Really great strip

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work great until they completely fail ?

Maybe you have a Wi-Fi issue ?

I'm asking because they look like a good solution and most users in this thread aren't reporting issues.
Could be wi-fi issue, I'm not sure to be honest. It doesn't happen often though but for some reason it's only certain outlet not all went offline. I'd say it happens about once every couple months. My ATO went offline this week, it still works when its offline, just can't command it thru the app or voice control until I unplug and plug it back.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be wi-fi issue, I'm not sure to be honest. It doesn't happen often though but for some reason it's only certain outlet not all went offline. I'd say it happens about once every couple months. My ATO went offline this week, it still works when its offline, just can't command it thru the app or voice control until I unplug and plug it back.
Hey thanks for the reply. If an outlet goes offline but doesn't stop working that's not a crisis, just a nuisance. I'm thinking about using one of the Kasa strips for a frag tank and loosing power would be serious. Temporary loss of online control, not so much.

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these Meross WiFi extension leads. So can control each individual plug from phone. I have couple on timers for things like t5 lights and safety precautions on ato etc. best feature to having them is the routines. I click 4 btns.
1. Pre water change - turns most plugs off
2. Dirty awc - Turns on pump in sump and drains until float level
3. Clean awc - turns on pump in saltwater bin. Fills sump to float level.
4. Post water change - turns most plugs back on.

Lovely water change system

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back