Making a smart power play: Do you use an automated electrical power strip?

Do you use an automated electrical power strip? (select all that apply)

• I have multiple automated electrical power strips.

Votes: 105 44.3%
  • I have only one automated electrical power strip.

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • I have multiple non-automated electrical power strips.

Votes: 53 22.4%
  • I have only one non-automated electrical power strip.

Votes: 22 9.3%
  • I do not have any electrical power strips.

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal power strips for me. One that I can switch off pumps and all for water changes and thats all I really need. No need for automation.

That's how I was for a long time until I needed to go on work trips and make a "simple" process for my wife and then subsequently our pet carer.

My wife didn't like the idea of having to get under the tank or anything and I didn't like the idea of a tank sitter doing that either. I ended up needing to add *additional* automation as failsafes if the equipment was forgotten to get turned back on. Ask me how I learned of this failure mode

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from this DIY operator panel that had 6 GFCI circuits (feed by 3 20A branch circuits) split into individual breakers and relays for EACH channel. Controlled by low voltage input from a DIY controller. @Paul B - you make nice metal fishies - I make nice metal HOA panels ;)
1706121527315.png

1706121549198.png

To a full GHL Profilux setup shown below.
A step forward and a step back really. I did not want to further develop my own controller or fiddle with electronics or writing software anymore.

1706121365236.png

1706121469149.png

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from this DIY operator panel that had 6 GFCI circuits (feed by 3 20A branch circuits) split into individual breakers and relays for EACH channel. Controlled by low voltage input from a DIY controller. @Paul B - you make nice metal fishies - I make nice metal HOA panels ;)
1706121527315.png

1706121549198.png

To a full GHL Profilux setup shown below.
A step forward and a step back really. I did not want to further develop my own controller or fiddle with electronics or writing software anymore.

1706121365236.png

1706121469149.png
That's an incredible setup!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an incredible setup!
3 Branch Circuits
6 GFCIS (2 per circuit)
18 HOA (Hand Off Automatic) switches/channels
18 Current transformers for current measurement
18 DIN Circuit breakers
18 DIN Relays
Indicators for breaker and output status for all channels
GFCI status for all groups
Military style round connectors for automation signals in and current measurements out

So each channel could be ON (override automation and turn on) Auto (relay controlled on/off) or Off (override automation and turn off)

It was a fun project - but I just lost interest in building software and keeping it modern. I struggled with feature creep and decided to be done with it. It sits in the corner of the office, because I don't have the heart to throw it away... that and there is $2000 or more worth of parts in it (that I will never use again).

The original design had a small LCD for each nameplate - so that channels could be customized when things change. It worked, but was too expensive to scale to 18 channels. The legend cost a fortune to print. If It was still in use, I would print magnetic HOA legends for each channel the shape of the legend boxes that are there.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two kasa strips, been working great. Only sometimes it randomly goes offline and I can't control it thru the app. I have to unplug and plug it back to get it working again.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, an Amazon special. This, along with my hands are the only controllers of my reef tank. For me they have been very reliable and the only one that failed on me was because saltwater got on it.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros family here about to add another power strip to my 2 I got already

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two kasa strips, been working great. Only sometimes it randomly goes offline and I can't control it thru the app. I have to unplug and plug it back to get it working again.
They work great until they completely fail ?

Maybe you have a Wi-Fi issue ?

I'm asking because they look like a good solution and most users in this thread aren't reporting issues.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 dj strips mounted at the top of my stand when I open the doors for individual switches. A kasa single wifi plug that runs my kalk stirrer on set times. I also use an amazon power strip with individual switches on my frag tank. I did use 2 kasa wifi strips with individual power switches and wifi for my two evos before I took them offline.

Grog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GE programable strips. I've had other models, cheaper and more expensive, but these GE ones seem to last longer. Maybe luck of the draw, but I'll stick with it.

I do like having multiples for different items. I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use non automated power strips with one amazon smart plug controlling the power strip that has my lights attached. my main powerstrip is an ADJ 8 outlet strip with individual switches. I like automation but have run into issues with smart devices not reconnecting after losing power.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back