'Tis An Innovative Marine 50 Lagoon Build

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been over a year since I've had a tank and it feels... odd. While I've been hunting for the "perfect" tank( and still am) I wanted to set up something small for now. And so here it is

Equipment:

Innovative Marine 50 Gallon Lagoon
3x Radion XR30 G4 Pro
1x MP40
1x Tunze Osmolator
Helio Smart Heater 400 watt
DIY Kalk Reactor(To be posted)
Custom 36 gal reservoir for ATO/ Kalk Reactor purposes
Neptune Apex

To be purchased:
Ecotech Vectra S2 (debating using one of AI’s new return pumps instead)

The plan:
I want to make a floating aquascape mounted on the tank. Lets see how that goes...
For the time being I'll be picking up the materials and updating the thread as I go
. Changed my mind on this. Literally every vendor for magnets I reached out to didn't want to sell encased magnets alone which I found super odd. Went with a more negative space scape instead.,

FTS:
March 2023 (will update with nicer one)
IMG_2698.jpg

April 2024
53631121470_38c3eafc01_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longtime no update. I ended up getting the tank and found that the seals were less than what I expected(it was used). I really wanted to make it work but there was one particular scratch that just would not go unseen by my eyes(even without glasses LOL)
I spoke to a friend and they suggested a Tideline 47 gallon lagoon tank. It was cheap, well built and is easily upgradeable, so I got excited. Long story short.... I ended up waiting until last week only for it to get delayed one more time(it had been delayed multiple times by the vendor since September) and out of frustration I decided that it didn't make sense to continue waiting on something that wasn't 100% what I wanted.
For the last like 5 years I've been wanting an IM 50 Gallon lagoon but always thought it overly expensive as I could go with other companies and save some $$$ to put towards sps. Looking back however, I've been thirsting for this tank so hard that I just went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.53.47 PM.png

BRS says it should get here by the 13th so you know what that means???? We start cycling media tomorrow! Rock Structure is getting started on Sunday(pics to come) and hopefully this thread gets kicked into high gear soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh.
Mine has learned not to do anything... I showed him glass box with swim things =water inside. Water = bad.
Haven't had a issue.
He just sits on my bed and watches.
This one is like
Oh water > water fun > sticks paws in, has no fear.

I have freshwater tanks and he singlehandedly terrorizes my cory cats

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2X MP10s would be fine. You can get by with 2x 15s lights as well. I run 2x MP40s in a 130g and if I'm over 45% it relocates the sand to the back of the tank. It's 48x22x30. I highly suggest a par meter for whatever you run. Go with the 30s if you plan to upgrade. I run 2x Hydra 52s and a Hydra 26 because they are so cheap ($550 total) but they are running at about 20% even with a 30" height tank.

That Tideline looks sweet. You will need a skimmer. I just got a Bullet 3 for my 40g breeder spare tank and it would be perfect for you.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2X MP10s would be fine. You can get by with 2x 15s lights as well. I run 2x MP40s in a 130g and if I'm over 45% it relocates the sand to the back of the tank. It's 48x22x30. I highly suggest a par meter for whatever you run. Go with the 30s if you plan to upgrade. I run 2x Hydra 52s and a Hydra 26 because they are so cheap ($550 total) but they are running at about 20% even with a 30" height tank.

That Tideline looks sweet. You will need a skimmer. I just got a Bullet 3 for my 40g breeder spare tank and it would be perfect for you.
I ran an MP40 in my 25 gallon lagoon several years ago and found that set low it works well. I hardly ever do sand and I’ll likely keep this one bare bottom as well, if not special grade sand to weigh it down a bit.

I’ll be trying to fit 3 radion XR30s as it’s going to be an acro dominated tank. While they’ll be set low I like the coverage 3 gives. If I can only fit 2 I’ll be a tad disappointed tbh. PAR meter is def being rented though, I intend to have max be 350-400 PAR.

As for a skimmer I might skip it and do a tunze MAR3181 with some modifications. I should be able to fabricate a mounting system on the back of the stand. If not I’ve been looking at a HOB refugium as a last resort

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Guys, I almost slept through the delivery
The tank has landed!

IMG_0193.jpeg

Congrats! I too have a 50ext lagoon in a crate. Lol. I ordered it in February for $800 with the stand. Then my housing situation changed and I can’t have a tank that big. Hopefully this time next year our new house will be built and I can set it up.

Also I have a SQ-520 I can rent you for cheap. Just let me know.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I too have a 50ext lagoon in a crate. Lol. I ordered it in February for $800 with the stand. Then my housing situation changed and I can’t have a tank that big. Hopefully this time next year our new house will be built and I can set it up.

Also I have a SQ-520 I can rent you for cheap. Just let me know.
So jealous of the deal you got! Omg

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So jealous of the deal you got! Omg

They didn't have the sump then. Did you get the one with the sump? I see that is all they offer now. I thought they were clearing them out when I ordered mine. Must have just been a change where now they have the sump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back