Portable power station

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I live in an area where we loose power from time to time for various reasons weather, traffic accidents ect. The issues usually do not last for days on end but usually power is restored the same day if not too serious. I have had my aquarium up and running for almost 1 year without issues. I feel as though my luck my be wearing out and I am considering options for supplemental life support options for my reef tank. I am considering a portable power station to keep my heater, power head & return pump going while the power is out. Can someone recommend a power station that would last a couple of days? I do not have any aquarium controllers that could supply power with a deep cycle battery such as Hyros Kraken. I don't want the noise or hassel of having to refuel a generator. I am open to other suggestions as well. I appreciate all input on this.

Thanks
Gordon.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a portable generator and be done with it imo. I have an 8500w from harbor freight. Instead of just the tank, the entire home is good for as long as I need.

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and what size heaters?

I found that most power banks can’t provide more than a few hours with the high draw from heaters.

Look to see how long a power bank can last at your heaters wattage.

Also where you live is a factor. Does it get really cold in the winter?

There are a lot of variables

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a battery air stone when power out.
4-D baterries last about 4 days.
Never gets to cold in my place.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need quite a power station to fuel heaters for that long. Flow pumps can run a long time since they are low wattage. A 200w heater that runs half of the day is 2400 watt hours and this alone is a very large power station. Add in a pump and power heads then you could easily be at 3600 watt hours for just one day. You could need a 10,000 watt hour system for more than a 2 day outage which are thousands of dollars.

Our sams club has like 3200w inverter generators for like $350 which are good clean power. I don't have one and have just seen them there - I have different generators. If you expect outages, then generator is the way to go since they are limitless as long as you have propane or gasoline. Nobody likes generators, for sure... but you will like it less without one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back