UPS/ Battery backup - what do you use and recommend for 300G system?

what UPS or Battery backup do you use?

• I do not have any power backup

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I have a power generator (automated or manual) but not battery backup

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • I have a battery backup - a UPS True sine wave

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I have a battery backup - a UPS simulated sine wave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a battery backup - other (please explain what other)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Of all the emergency equipments, powerbackup is most important (as per what I have read) - so would love to hear what power backup options do you have or plan to have.

I have this UPS connected and gives me 75 minutes for 2 return pumps and 2 dozers

I also have 2 battery backups (bought when I did not know of UPS) but would rather have something automated.

I would like to have 2 battery backups and connect my 2 set of return pumps separately so all my tank and sump remains healthy - for hours, in event of power outage. Looking for batter backup option for under $400 but with 2x capacity of what I have.

I have: CyberPower 1500VA / 900 Watts True Sine Wave Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) (Bought from Costco 2 years back)

Here are some options I have come across:
CyberPower 1500VA / 900 Watts True Sine Wave Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
CyberPower 1500VA/900Watts Simulated Sine Wave UPS Battery Backup with Surge Protection
Amazon Basics Line Interactive UPS 1500VA 900 Watt Surge Protector Battery Power Backup, 10 Outlets, Black

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are planning a battery backup solution think of the time your system would be ok without a specific piece of equipment.

If most of us our honest our tank could run for a week or more with just powerheads and temperature control. Things might get dirty and you might need to do some big water changes to keep the chemistry in check but I have seen many nano tanks run forever with just water movement and temperature control. If your home environment is not extremely hot or cold then you could likely go a day or two without temperature control but in a matter of hours everything could die from lack of water movement.

Because of this, I would focus first on having a plan for backing up water movement. Most DC powerheads will have a battery backup option and this is likely the best solution for most people. This alone can give you a day or two to get the power back on. If you are expecting longer outages then you most likely will need to look at a generator as even the very best UPS systems cannot run a heater or chiller very long.

I mainly use UPS to keep my router and controllers running during an outage so I can still get notifications and monitoring but that really isn't that important.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked long and hard after my last power outage but couldn’t find anything with sufficient life. I do use a battery powered bubbler for oxygenation and some water movement. Fortunately, in north east Ohio we don’t get the extended power outages that other parts of the country get. Excuse me while I find some wood to knock on.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Salvaged Watch-Dog, Sump Controller. Replaced the Float with a RIB, “Relay In a Box.” The Relay is Normally Closed, Open, not made when power is supplied. Deep Cycle Wet Cell 12 Vdc Battery. Four, small 12Vdc Pumps, two on each Aquarium. System will run the pumps for over a week, via a testing. Providing just enough flow from the Sump to the Aquarium, to prevent a Die Off. I keep Spare Pumps on Hand. Also have a Solar Charger, I can set up if needed. So far the the longest actual use was 46 hours, and an unknown time, while on vacation. The underground cable leaked, Electronic Meter caught it, and the Utility Replaced the Cable.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you are planning a battery backup solution think of the time your system would be ok without a specific piece of equipment.

If most of us our honest our tank could run for a week or more with just powerheads and temperature control. Things might get dirty and you might need to do some big water changes to keep the chemistry in check but I have seen many nano tanks run forever with just water movement and temperature control. If your home environment is not extremely hot or cold then you could likely go a day or two without temperature control but in a matter of hours everything could die from lack of water movement.

Because of this, I would focus first on having a plan for backing up water movement. Most DC powerheads will have a battery backup option and this is likely the best solution for most people. This alone can give you a day or two to get the power back on. If you are expecting longer outages then you most likely will need to look at a generator as even the very best UPS systems cannot run a heater or chiller very long.

I mainly use UPS to keep my router and controllers running during an outage so I can still get notifications and monitoring but that really isn't that important.

Mind sharing what UPS model/ make do you use?

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be my plan for my tank, run a 1200-1500W UPS on my display tankpumps and it should give 2-3 hours of power.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone used below BRS unit and experience to share? Compare to using CyberPower 1500VA / 900 Watts True Sine Wave Uninterruptible Power Supply?

Also, comparing strategies
A. Connect return pump to UPS
B. Connect powehead to UPS

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any sensitive electronics on the circuit you should be running sine. If you’re always home a basic UPS and a cheap (>$600) generator will work fine. If you want any real back up time though you need to look at something like XR server UPS’ or Powerwalls.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used below BRS unit and experience to share? Compare to using CyberPower 1500VA / 900 Watts True Sine Wave Uninterruptible Power Supply?

Also, comparing strategies

I’ve been using 4 of these on my 180. It runs mp40’s. I DIY battery replacements every 4 years.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looks like "True Sine Wave" may be useful for our Ecotech or equipments that are sensitive to momentary power trips. It happed for me, my light's clocl got messed up and it had gone to factory setting due to 1 minute power trip.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Anyone any thoughts on which 9f below approaches do you take and why?

And, what is a solution for temperature control? I have a "heater kind gas fireplace", so i do have a solution. But just curious.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly for a tank that big I’d ditch the power supplies all together and get a sine wave generator.
Those UPCs won’t even last you overnight in reality.

We had a transformer blow up a couple blocks away and were without power for 4 days. If it wasn’t for the generator my entire reef would be dead.
We managed to run a 210 reef, a 75g reef a 32g reef and the fridge for the whole time no probelm.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't waste money on these battery backups made for computers and such. They are just not reliable enough and will eventually blow its capacitors and destroy the unit. If you have ecotech pumps just get the batter backup for those.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly for a tank that big I’d ditch the power supplies all together and get a sine wave generator.
Those UPCs won’t even last you overnight in reality.

We had a transformer blow up a couple blocks away and were without power for 4 days. If it wasn’t for the generator my entire reef would be dead.
We managed to run a 210 reef, a 75g reef a 32g reef and the fridge for the whole time no probelm.
What generator do you have?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the small generator route, it’s pretty easy to install a through the wall kit with an outlet right next to the aquarium’s UPS. Then it’s just a matter of moving a single plug one outlet over.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery back up on my Tunze powerheads using their safety switch and a LiFePO4 battery for short term outages. For long term I have a portable generator to run what is needed.
Future plan is to install a larger 3000-5000 watt inverter and batteries with possible solar

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would(have already done..) use your current 1500va sine wave ups and add a bank or 2 of car batteries. For as much runtime as you want. 1500va has the capacity to run the tank entire without lights. Just open the unit as if to change the batteries and connect car batteries. My apc 1500va sine wave ups, on 4- 100ah agm batteries, wil run my 180g (w/ lights) for over 18 hours(775-900w), about double that without lights. The apc charges and maintains the 4 batteries no problem. This is tested and proven several times. These sized units aren't built like the cheap 200w units, they can handle what they're rated for. A generator after that is a must here in Florida

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back