Battery backup and APEX

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to keep circulation going in my 170 for short power outages. Had a hour power outage the other week and had some slight STN following (has since recovered). Not entirely sure it was from that but still would like a short outage solution (have a genny that plugs into the house for longer outages).

I can get a battery backup for two of my MP40s that are low in the tank that stay on 24/7 even during water changes (roughly 20w together) but would prefer to do the return pumps (dual jebao roughly 60w). Most battery backups 500-1000whr will handle these fine for a long time.

Problem is I have a doorbell button that activates feed mode on my apex and turns off the return pump and sump equipment for 10min. Plugging the return pumps into a battery backup would eliminate this option.

I was thinking though that I could have a relay switch that is normally closed and activated by 24VDC to open the circuit. That way I could add a code to apex on feed mode to turn on the 24VDC output on the EB8 which would, in turn, cut off the return pumps for feed mode and the battery backup would still keep the return pumps running in an outage…

Something like this but this is normally open.

Thoughts?

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do some reprogramming and put one eb8 on a battery backup and plug non essential equipment into other one...

OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I think I agree. I can put both return pumps, all four mp40s, ato, and skimmer on one and it avg 115w. 100whr backup will give me 9 hours before I need to make any decisions. Plus everything stays the same for apex functions.

Edit 1000whr

Last edited:

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use a APC smart ups1500 connected to 4(about to be 8) external car batteries

Link your battery backup we were talking about the other day. Seemed like a better cost to capacity ratio

Yes I admit the cost to duration ratio is better, but the lipos can be charged and discharged 3500+ times and are compact, and can recharge to full capacity in 90 min. They both have pros and cons and all your points are valid. I enjoy good conversation and by bringing both sides to the table the op and future viewers can make more educated decisions on what is best for them

OP
OP
C

CDubz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang these are expensive… looks like flow and bluetti are descent options. 1000whr $600 and 500whr $330ish. Flow is 30ms delay and bluetti is 10ms. Is this enough time that it would disrupt the connection? Or would it appear seamless?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dang these are expensive… looks like flow and bluetti are descent options. 1000whr $600 and 500whr $330ish. Flow is 30ms delay and bluetti is 10ms. Is this enough time that it would disrupt the connection? Or would it appear seamless?

Bigblue is 10 ms (.01) and is seamless to my equipment.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back