Anyone ever buy a gyre and regret it?

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had Mp 40s and switched over to the reefwaves.
no regrets. Just different. I kinda like the gyre flow over the mp40 as it’s more spread out.
but I do miss the apex interface of the mp40s

gonna be selling my 40s soon after I make sure I want to keep the waves.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two xf330's and two mp40's controlled through the Hydros wave engine and love both. Cleaning the gyres can be simple. I bought extra impellers and cages, which for two gyres was slightly higher than one mp40 wetside. Takes less than 10 minutes to swap them out and brush off the motor.
That's a great idea! I think I'm going to do that as well! Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from mp10 on a smaller tank to xf330 on my 4 footer and would not go back. I had 3 mp40s ready to go and was just not happy enough with the mp10. The one thing that sold me on gyre is the wide flow, I wish I could get no wires inside the tank but it is a small trade off, so far the xf330s are quieter then the mp pumps and are moving plenty of water

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only pumps I use on my tanks are maxspect gyres. I currently have 2 g2 gyres a 280 and a 250 on my 120g and previously had them on my 220. Zero problems over 3 years, I have cleaned them 3 times and they run like new (relatively silent). No issues with the controller or anything. I was also given a small maxspect gyre I cant recall the model but it's not anywhere near as impressive it makes a lot of noise even though all the parts are in good shape

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't hate mine and I don't regret it, but I don't love it either. I have a xf350? and it moves a LOT of water... I just hate that it is totally static. I have never cleaned in in more than 2 years and I have had no failures or down time - I have not experienced what some people do with short lives and stuff and mine has been solid.

Get some Tunze 6055s or a single 6105 and be set for a decade.

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Red Sea wave 25 on a Red Sea 170 with two mp10’s. I like each of their functions equally.
The Red Sea app is easy to program and use. I wish Ecotech had their app ready for Vortechs

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two maxspect xf330's on my 5 foot red sea tank. Amazing flow but if I don't clean them every 2 weeks they get a little noisier and I notice the flow is not as strong. Being at the top of the water line they're nearly unnoticeable. My only gripe is the cleaning. The cord is a pain but you have that with every pump minus the vortechs.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too much lamimar flow. Really like the reefbreeders rpm which is like the Nero. Just need a bunch of them.

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have jebao scp150 and SOW20 on my 210g. bought them on ebay and got 2 year warranty for an extra 10 or 15 bucks.
only have them for couple of months so i cant really comment on reliability or ease of cleaning. they work great at pushing tons of water 6 feet. nifty feature is you can master/slave the units together. no wifi though.

still trying to figure out night mode. get around to it one day

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 146 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back