Anyone ever do a 90% water change?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 has a nasty phytoplankton bloom for over a month. It did clear up after the first week for two days but came back stronger. My water is murky green and I can't see two inches into the tank. I'm getting worried about the 4 corals I have (large RBTA, litho frag, favia frag, and a goni frag). The fish seem fine. I know that a uv light would clear it up but I had a huge car repair bill that drained the rest of my student loan money and I'm two months from graduation and finding work.I don't think my tank will survive that long. My plan/idea is to prepare enough fresh salt water to do a 90% water change. Once that water is ready, I'll move the green water currently in the tank along with the 4 corals and fish to a holding tank. Then fill the display with new water and then re-acclimate livestock. Note that I am not removing rock or sand. Just nasty green water and livestock. What do you all think?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 has a nasty phytoplankton bloom for over a month. It did clear up after the first week for two days but came back stronger. My water is murky green and I can't see two inches into the tank. I'm getting worried about the 4 corals I have (large RBTA, litho frag, favia frag, and a goni frag). The fish seem fine. I know that a uv light would clear it up but I had a huge car repair bill that drained the rest of my student loan money and I'm two months from graduation and finding work.I don't think my tank will survive that long. My plan/idea is to prepare enough fresh salt water to do a 90% water change. Once that water is ready, I'll move the green water currently in the tank along with the 4 corals and fish to a holding tank. Then fill the display with new water and then re-acclimate livestock. Note that I am not removing rock or sand. Just nasty green water and livestock. What do you all think?
I think it'll be fine as long as you do it very quickly. Like less than an hour. It won't take long for live rock to begin during off in the open air.

Gravadlax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im too lazy too find the video but there is a guy with a 10 gallon reef tank that does 100% water changes every week... Just be quick!

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im too lazy too find the video but there is a guy with a 10 gallon reef tank that does 100% water changes every week... Just be quick!
I know it's more common with pico tanks but wanna be sure

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that with a bacterial bloom. It didn't work for me. If you were nearby I'd totally lend my UV to you. Do you have a club local to you?

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that with a bacterial bloom. It didn't work for me. If you were nearby I'd totally lend my UV to you. Do you have a club local to you?
Not within a hr drive one way. And with my car just being repaired, I'd rather not take the chance driving that distance till I know its ok

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a video this afternoon, an interview with an Aussie reefer (with a _big_ tank) who routinely does water changes of that magnitude ... but he uses natural seawater, which I suspect makes a difference. He also has a maintenance pro to come in and help with the process.

~Bruce

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has me very curious... Did something large die in your tank? If you are growing phyto at that rate you must have introduced a massive amount of nitrogen. Almost like adding grass fertilizer to your tank. I would also check your top off water for NO3 and NO4. If you do a massive water change with high amounts of nitrogen in your water you will only exacerbate the issue. I would remove the corals from your system, don't do a water change, and wait a few weeks. The phyto will consume all of its resources within that time and you should see a marked improvement. That way you will know if the problem is internal or external. Good luck!

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally do this (annually) in some of my smaller reefs. The key is speed and matching temp/ph/alk/salinity. Big changes in any or all 3 of these can occur and cause MAJOR problems. However, if you do it right, the boost in trace elements really benefits the corals.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a video this afternoon, an interview with an Aussie reefer (with a _big_ tank) who routinely does water changes of that magnitude ... but he uses natural seawater, which I suspect makes a difference. He also has a maintenance pro to come in and help with the process.

~Bruce
I saw that video too. One key point is that you have to make sure the water parameters of the new water matches the parameters of the water you are replacing. Stability is important.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally do this (annually) in some of my smaller reefs. The key is speed and matching temp/ph/alk/salinity. Big changes in any or all 3 of these can occur and cause MAJOR problems. However, if you do it right, the boost in trace elements really benefits the corals.
Just saw your post after I posted. +1;Shamefullyembarrased

kenandmoose2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has me very curious... Did something large die in your tank? If you are growing phyto at that rate you must have introduced a massive amount of nitrogen. Almost like adding grass fertilizer to your tank. I would also check your top off water for NO3 and NO4. If you do a massive water change with high amounts of nitrogen in your water you will only exacerbate the issue. I would remove the corals from your system, don't do a water change, and wait a few weeks. The phyto will consume all of its resources within that time and you should see a marked improvement. That way you will know if the problem is internal or external. Good luck!
Troy has a good point here. Have you tested the water to see where these levels are? Nitrate and Phosphate. If something did die and you dont remove it or your make water has high lvls you will see short term benefits from a water change. Find the source of the fertilizer and remove it then do a water change with water that tests good. If you dont have your own rodi system that you get water from ask the lfs to prove the water tests good. I went through that once with my tank. The lfs was using plain tap water to make salt water. It was a train wreck. I wouldn't hesitate to do a 90% water change if the source was found and the water you put back matched the parameters of the water in the tank....salinity, alkalinity, and temp.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a BRS 5 stage RODI. ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are in check but I don't have a phosphate kit. This all started when tried dosing phyto thinking it would help my pod population. I stopped dosing but it's just not clearing up. I've been doing my normal 5g per week water changes with no luck. Without spending money this is all I can think of.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another possible solution to your problem would be a 3 day blackout. I performed one a few months back when dealing with a nasty algae/bacteria outbreak in my tank. This cleared it up and did not bother any of my corals.

As far as the 90% water change goes, it shouldn't cause a problem. Like others have said on here, make it quick and try to limit disturbing the sand bed. I change 50-75% of my 29 gallon aquarium on days that I clean my filtration system (skimmer, refugium, etc.).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back