Anyone ever do a 90% water change?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible peroxide dosing may work well on phyto. 2$ for 3% grade.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question

People dose peroxide to try and kill algae like hair algae. It works. I think it will kill phyto easily. Give it a try.

Dose no more than .1ml per gallon of water daily for a few days. Maybe try half the dosage. Make sure its 3% peroxide not 30%. You can buy it in the pharmacy section.

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll do some research tomorrow on peroxide but I don't have any shrimp anyway

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. I'm on day 3 of a 3 day black out and have been dosing 3% peroxide @ 1ml/10gal q 12hrs. I also did my normal 5g water change today. I do see a significant decrease in the phyto but it's still pretty green and I'm afraid it'll just rebloom. So I'm gonna push the limits a bit and go one more day with the lights out. Depending on how things look I may or may not continue dosing the h2o2. I'm not sure if it's actually helping or not but if the water is still green tomorrow I may continue just to see if it helps. From that I can see all my frags are still alive but don't look their best. My 8" rainbow bta has relocated to the back of the tank and looks bleached and shrunk to about 3"- 4" or it might have split from being unhappy and I can't see the other half yet. Either way I know it's a common side effect from both methods and from what I've read it should bounce back.
21409cc2322a25a6ceaae816d0de9e33.jpg

564020b18efeaa4f7505e547bc7c98c9.jpg

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just caught a video this afternoon, an interview with an Aussie reefer (with a _big_ tank) who routinely does water changes of that magnitude ... but he uses natural seawater, which I suspect makes a difference. He also has a maintenance pro to come in and help with the process.

~Bruce
+1

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating

You should change all the water out first, then dose the peroxide to the new water column but anemones don't like peroxide so that could be an issue

The small sandbed should be removed, rinsed and reinstalled as well to fix up that tank along with the complete water change and drop the lighting from white like it is into heavy blue

Greenwater invasions are easy to fix after work but if you can't do the true full clean uv is a fine option too

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating

You should change all the water out first, then dose the peroxide to the new water column but anemones don't like peroxide so that could be an issue

The small sandbed should be removed, rinsed and reinstalled as well to fix up that tank along with the complete water change and drop the lighting from white like it is into heavy blue

Greenwater invasions are easy to fix after work but if you can't do the true full clean uv is a fine option too
Can you tell me why do you recommend removing and cleaning the sand?

OP
OP
fishbox

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
834b9fcc5d11856ba5e579e511f46814.jpg

Here's a day 4 pic. It has definitely improved but is still a little cloudy. I don't want to push another lights out day. So today I will start with just my blues. Some other changes I'm making to hopefully prevent this from coming right back:
I'm cutting my light schedule. My blues will be on for 8hrs and whites for 6hrs. Before my blues were on for 10hrs and whites 8hrs.

I'm also cutting my feed schedule from once a day to once every other day.

This morning I made a water bottle air stone skimmer out stuff I had laying around. I have it skimming wet.

So let's see what happens.........

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was only to try and rid any cells in the sandbed that may try to rebound. We do this type of complete cleaning in nano reefs all the time to prevent invasions across the board. It's harder for larger tanks to be as thorough, but the results are the same tank to tank afterwards for this kind of suspended invader/algae

We've never lost in an anemone to peroxide dosing they just get mad for a day or two I think it might be your best bet even if you don't clean out the bed just don't dose over one milliliter per 10 gallons of water. The large water change won't hurt anything just match the temperature and salinity upon refill you don't need to worry about the other parameters since this isn't a high-end SPS tank and neither is mine

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back