Anyone ever purchased a clam from PetCo?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've seen Derasa clams at my local Petco quite frequently and I'm just curious - I'd like to get a clam for my reef but I'm wondering if Petco is equipped to actually keep a clam healthy enough to purchase without having to worry about it dying or bringing disease.

I know the white rim on the shell indicates growth and a gaping mouth indicates an unhealthy or unhappy clam. Is there anything else I should be looking for if I buy one? What pests should I look for?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check for pyramid snails, but apart from that, as long as its growing and has decent color i'd get it, both my clams are from petco and they're doing great, (derasa and a gigas)

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pyrams did my last squammy dirty. Lost her. But I’d chk periodically. I’d also check for the clams response to light aka wavy hand lol. Also noted the color of the mantle and the siphons. White shell is always a plus. Derasa close tight and like the substrate or a cradle. Easier to chk w the cradle. Good luck. Post it if u get it.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
U may b able to ask when they get stock and try to grab it before they unbag it. If the water is clear and it’s closed tight I’d say ur ok. U can also inspect the base check for any threads or damage to them and the foot if exposed.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a derasa for about 6 months now from Petco, thriving, and last month I got a hippo from petco, also appears to be doing well.

These are the only 2 clams I've been able to keep alive. I have killed 3-4 prior

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys! I see them periodically I just always worry about Petco which is interesting because most everything I buy from Petco lives long I just see a lot of sick corals or fish with ich.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now it's time to convince my wife we need a clam!
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Derasa clams at my local Petco quite frequently and I'm just curious - I'd like to get a clam for my reef but I'm wondering if Petco is equipped to actually keep a clam healthy enough to purchase without having to worry about it dying or bringing disease.

I know the white rim on the shell indicates growth and a gaping mouth indicates an unhealthy or unhappy clam. Is there anything else I should be looking for if I buy one? What pests should I look for?
Honestly I wouldnt get anything from petco. I used to keep freshwater tanks and their fish are so not taken care of, at least at my 3 local ones. The saltwater section is even worse, showing they just dont know or dont care about fish. I would get a clam from a trusted LFS or biota! Obviously up to you and if your petco is nice and the clam is taken care of then go for it! Ive been to 3 local petcos and a couple further away where Im at and all were just run down ans horrible, was very upsetting to see all their dead clowns floating and their skinny near death ones just bumping into things.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco clams come directly from ORA and usually very healthy when they arrive. Petco's ability to keep it long term will vary greatly on the store. I think if you get it when it arrives or shortly after it will still be in good shape. I have always found the staff at my local Petco to be very helpful and willing to let me know when shipments are coming and if they have any clams on order.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Petco clams come directly from ORA and usually very healthy when they arrive. Petco's ability to keep it long term will vary greatly on the store. I think if you get it when it arrives or shortly after it will still be in good shape. I have always found the staff at my local Petco to be very helpful and willing to let me know when shipments are coming and if they have any clams on order.
We've got a couple of decent Petco managers that have worked with me in the past. I may have them order me one and be there when it arrives. Some won't let me buy them until they're out of the bags.

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had heard good things about a petco ~45 min from me and we happened to have a soccer game in the area this weekend so came home with this guy.

IMG_5478.jpeg

IMG_5470.jpeg

The people working the aquatic section seemed very on top of it. Asking about alkalinity and showing me the clam under both whites and blues. And it’s got shell growth. And there was a 25% off deal for anything over the weekend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back