Anyone ever treated with Copper?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Cupramine in my QT to treat all new incoming fish for 14 of at least 30 days while in the QT. My question is, can the equipment such as heaters, power heads, etc... ever been sterilized or cleaned in a way that those pieces of equipment can be used in a reef tank? If so, how to rid them of the copper? Is it just a simple batch in vinegar or bleach? Or are they now dedicated items to the QT because copper has been dosed?

ibbennyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copper doesnt absorb into the devices.. they can be cleaned.. the main reason copper is said to not be used in a reef tank is because the copper absorbs into the rock and sand and essentially never gets out completely. as for the equipment such as a heater its relativily easily to clean a heater.. but power heads you spots its very hard to clean.. but as i said i would do a good soak with vinegar and whatnot to clean..

someone else can chime in but this is what i have found... i know they also have a product called cuprisorb that absorbs the copper.. you can look into that as welll

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that is all glass would not absorb the copper but anything that is porous would. I would say your heaters are ok, but would be hesitant on a powerhead.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I know I've read that the silicone on the aquarium itself will absorb the copper. On the side of the Cupramine bottle it says to use carbon and or Cubrisorb.

I don't plan on using any of the equipment in my DT... Was just more curious than anything. Appreciate it!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't trust using equipment in a reef. I think that it could get absorbed into the plastics. Why take a chance with expensive corals? But i am not sure.

ibbennyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just passing along info I was told. Not that I believe this one but the product by seachem called cuprsorb they say somehow pulls the copper out. It needs to be used for like a month plus recharging it to get all the copper out. Reason this got brought up a fish store had a friend o mine who didn't know any better treat their display tank with copper safe. And I was looking for solution on how to handle it since it was a reef tank. And I being told that will pull the copper completely from the system

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info everybody and much appreciated. None of my QT equipment will be used in my DT. was just curious as all. Throwing thoughts out there to see everyone's experience and thoughts. Thank you!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP on my Panini Maker.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back