Anyone familiar with the AquaClear 20? Need Help

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to set up a 10g quarantine, I bought a AquaClear 20 HOB filter. For the life of me I can’t get the siphon to start. The motor runs fine, I’ve followed instructions to the letter but the siphon will rise just under the “U” fitting and won’t peak to start the siphon.

I know it’s a long shot but before I replace it I figured I’d see if anyone else was familiar with the filter or had the same issue.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it says to add the water in the filter prior to turning it on. It pulls the water up but it just doesn’t seem to be able to pull it over the top

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adjusting the intake tube. The instructions say to have it to one side to reduce the flow rate. I found it doesn't have the jam to pull up the water. Try setting it to the max flow when it hits that point.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tried to adjust it from the lower setting when the water got closest to the top and it just drops back down the intake tube.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. Only other few things I can think of, in order of easiest to most expensive.

The intake tube, is it seated properly over the impeller? I have had it before where it wasn't pushed down all the way.

There may be a small crack, or hole in the intake somewhere, breaking the siphon.

Impeller is shot, new ones are like $12.

Motor is shot, probably cheaper to buy a new AC20.

Assuming your filter is new, odds are it is not the latter two, but that is all I can think of. There really isn't much to these filters.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. Only other few things I can think of, in order of easiest to most expensive.

The intake tube, is it seated properly over the impeller? I have had it before where it wasn't pushed down all the way.

There may be a small crack, or hole in the intake somewhere, breaking the siphon.

Impeller is shot, new ones are like $12.

Motor is shot, probably cheaper to buy a new AC20.

Assuming your filter is new, odds are it is not the latter two, but that is all I can think of. There really isn't much to these filters.
Yes it is brand new, I’ll check the line again, but I’m scratching my head in this one as well haha. Thanks for the input

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to over impeller properly. If thats not the issue filling the filter with water always worked for me

Other than this prob these filters are awesome lol

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back