Anyone familiar with the aqueon 125 ensemble?

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my local PetSmart has the aqueon 125 ensemble on sale and in stock. I keep going back and forth. I want to upgrade my 40 gallon but the red sea type tanks seem so outrageously priced. My biggest gripe is how to address this tank with a sump. Has anyone modified the stock stand to accept a decent sized sump and ran hob overflows? Very confused what to do here. The price is so tempting but Im wondering if I should just save up for a red sea or equivalent. Want something in the 100-125 gal range

Screenshot_20200712-141626_Chrome.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqueon 125. It is the "reef ready" version with internal overflows. I built my own stand.

I would not like that stand, as it doesn't work for a sump, and it's too short to like nice.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running for filtration/skimming? My current 40 gallon is all hob so im not opposed to it.

I have 3 hob filters and 2 double power heads for flow. Water stays crystal clear. I do suggest that you get better lighting for it. The lights are not strong enough to support any kind of coral or algae. Nems do fine.
I got a better lighting system and now the coral are way happier and extension of polyps is awesome.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqueon 125. It is the "reef ready" version with internal overflows. I built my own stand.

I would not like that stand, as it doesn't work for a sump, and it's too short to like nice.

The tank and stand combined are at 4' hight, perfect for viewing. It would fit a smaller sump in one of the sides, but I prefer not to have a sump. The only issue I have is the lights that come with it are not strong enough to have happy coral.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes and while not a bad tank- youre better off going reef ready as by the time you add components to make it reef Capable, you'll wish you just went RR up from with overflows, maintenance and cost of filters for Non-reef ready

OP
OP
Arsenix2001

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I think Ive decided to put away alittle money every month until I can go the rimless route. Appreciate the advice.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I think Ive decided to put away alittle money every month until I can go the rimless route. Appreciate the advice.
If you decide you want to still go that route, check out my build thread in my signature. I started with that 125 from petsmart, and built my own stand. I wouldn't reccomend using the stand that comes with it, because its particleboard not wood. Particeboard + water = very bad time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back