Fish could I keep in a 125-gallon tank?

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my first 29-gallon tank about 3 months ago and is doing amazing and looks great, with 2 clowns, a dotty back, and 9 coral frags. I love the aquarium, but the fish are small. Now I am planning to buy a 125-gallon aquarium with bigger fish. The aquarium is "Aqueon 125 Gallon Aquarium Black Silicone 72x18x22." I don't know about the sump and those things yet, but will see that later. I will need help on that tho.

I just wanted to know what fish are good or bad for this tank.

Here is my list of fishes:
1 Yellow Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
1 Copperband Butterflyfish
2 Clowns
1 Dusky Margined Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty Angel

The inverts:
3 Turbo snails
4 Astrea snails
4 Nessarius snails
1 Starfish
4-5 Anemones?

I was thinking of adding a few corals, making it only FOWLR, or with a lot of anemones. Is this too much for the tank or right?

FilthyFifty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most the fishes listed would be good in the 125gal the only one I wouldn’t go with is the Powder Blue they are such gorgeous fish but need more space to swim and even though they don’t start with ich when you put them in they are ich magnets and can develop it over time due to stress and many other factors.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most the fishes listed would be good in the 125gal the only one I wouldn’t go with is the Powder Blue they are such gorgeous fish but need more space to swim and even though they don’t start with ich when you put them in they are ich magnets and can develop it over time due to stress and many other factors.
Ich isn't something that just develops. If it shows later on, then it was there the entire time. Given the list of fish I would highly recommend a quarantine system.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my first 29-gallon tank about 3 months ago and is doing amazing and looks great, with 2 clowns, a dotty back, and 9 coral frags. I love the aquarium, but the fish are small. Now I am planning to buy a 125-gallon aquarium with bigger fish. The aquarium is "Aqueon 125 Gallon Aquarium Black Silicone 72x18x22." I don't know about the sump and those things yet, but will see that later. I will need help on that tho.

1 Yellow Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
2 Clowns
1 Dusky Margined Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty Angel

The inverts:
3 Turbo snails
4 Astrea snails
4 Nessarius snails
1 Starfish
4-5 Anemones?

I was thinking of adding a few corals, making it only FOWLR, or with a lot of anemones. Is this too much for the tank or right?
I have this exact same tank as you. Looks good! I had a powder blue, she caused issues in my 125. I have a powder brown tang now and he is well behaved. If you add the powder blue add last!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the fish list looks fine for a 125. I would add the Yellow and PBT last. They will be OK with the rest of the fish. Add the CBB first.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Yellow Tang
1 Powder Blue Tang
1 Kole Tang
1 Foxface Rabbitfish
2 Clowns
1 Dusky Margined Wrasse
1 Coral Beauty Angel

The inverts:
3 Turbo snails
4 Astrea snails
4 Nessarius snails
1 Starfish
4-5 Anemones?

The foxface and PBT may be on the larger size for a 125 in my opinion but the rest of the fish should be fine. Copper bands are notorious for being difficult to get eating but you can probably get away with it if you’re patient and willing to feed them clams and that sort of thing for a while.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Upgrade. 125's are fun. You landed solidly in the Small/medium Tang group with a 6ft tank. Kole, Tomini, Skopas, Hippo, yellow tangs are all good choices for your length of tank. Any tang with a full grown length of 8 inches is fine in your tank, or maybe one that gets to 10 inches with 3 or 4 smaller variety. Add them all at same time to a well cycled system.

The one thing so many people that are upgrading to a medium/large tank from a nano or mini is the amount of Clean Up Crew you need. I went to reefcleaners.org and copied their suggested list of snails for your size tank. I used their guide when I stocked my 300g 8ft tank adding Half the suggestion at 1 month and the other half at 4 months. They have other packages as well, and there are other sources to buy your CuC. Trust me, you will need a lot if you want your tank healthy. I also suggest you add Copepods and Ampipods as soon as you see algae growing in your new tank as well.

Good Luck to you.

1711889376584.png

OP
OP
S

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all!

Another question, with the provided fishes, should I make a reef tank, or FOWLR?

Also, since many people said Powder Blues are a headache, I am thinking to change it for the powder brown.

And do I have to make a sump or could I use powerful canister filters or many hang on filters?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either should be fine but IMO Powder Blue tang is a lot more beautiful. If you add him small he will grow up as “one of the tang gang” and will not have any problem. Make sure you feed your tangs (and other fishes) well. Nothing is sadder to me than a bunch of sick emaciated tangs.
IMG_1360.jpeg

Last edited:

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! Another question, with the provided fishes, should I make a reef tank, or FOWLR? Also since many people said Powder Blues are a headache, I am thinking to change it for the powder brown.
Powder blues and powder browns are almost the same fish. Same chance of getting one that’s a terror. My powder blue is super sweet. It is really on a fish by fish basis and will largely depend on tank mates. The best shot is to add tangs together and last and for the potentially most aggressive fish to be the smallest of the ones added to allow them to establish boundaries without him being able to completely destroy them at first.

i have a dusky wrasse and he loves eating certain inverts. That said, I have him in a mixed reef and he’s happy. If you’re fine replenishing your inverts every so often then that should be fine. Copper bands can also pick at coral. But some don’t. Angelfish definitely will or more likely than not will.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_1497.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_6828.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6578.jpeg
IMG_5947.jpeg
IMG_4780.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_1941.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_9460.jpeg
IMG_7993.png
I love my harem of Flame angels, and my CBB. I did not have problem with them picking my corals and clams. And wrasses of every colors in my tank. The wrasses are somewhat short live. 5 years or so is the upper limits of most of the wrasse

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_4361.png
IMG_4356.jpeg
IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_1497.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_7256.png
IMG_6828.jpeg
IMG_6001.jpeg
IMG_6578.jpeg
IMG_5947.jpeg
IMG_4780.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_4576.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_6956.jpeg
IMG_1941.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_9460.jpeg
IMG_7993.png
I love my harem of Flame angels, and my CBB. I did not have problem with them picking my corals and clams. And wrasses of every colors in my tank. The wrasses are somewhat short live. 5 years or so is the upper limits of most of the wrasse
Your wrasses are stunning. What are the first three?

Also, are the flames in a FOWLR? If not, what’s the nipping situation been like? I really want a flame in my reef but scared to try.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
This is only one of the various variety of Exquisite fairy wrasse. Displaying male
img_6586-jpeg.3589893

This is a Male Black Back Tamarin Wrasse. Nuptial display.
Anampses neoguinaicus.
img_4361-png.3589894

This is a Male Radiant wrasse
Halichoeres iridis
img_1551-jpeg.3589899

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
This is only one of the various variety of Exquisite fairy wrasse. Displaying male
img_6586-jpeg.3589893

This is a Male Black Back Tamarin Wrasse. Nuptial display.
Anampses neoguinaicus.
img_4361-png.3589894

This is a Male Radiant wrasse
Halichoeres iridis
img_1551-jpeg.3589899
Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wrasses are stunning. What are the first three?

Also, are the flames in a FOWLR? If not, what’s the nipping situation been like? I really want a flame in my reef but scared to try.
My tank is a 340 gal mixed reef. My harem of Flame angels are darling perfect reef fish. They don't bother corals or clams. Somebody nailed all my Xenia. I think it is one of the tangs instead of Angels. I also have Regal Angel pair in addition to my 3 Flame Angels Harem.
One of the picture show the coloration of my Male Flame nuptial coloration, and a female Meleagris Leopard (I also have several more females and a male) and my two females Black Back Tamarin wrasse (I also have a male). I like to keep breeding units of my fishes if possible.
IMG_7344.jpeg
FlameAngel2019082508MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Male.jpg
FlameAngel2019100901.jpg

OP
OP
S

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 340 gal mixed reef. My harem of Flame angels are darling perfect reef fish. They don't bother corals or clams. Somebody nailed all my Xenia. I think it is one of the tangs instead of Angels. I also have Regal Angel pair in addition to my 3 Flame Angels Harem.
One of the picture show the coloration of my Male Flame nuptial coloration, and a female Meleagris Leopard (I also have several more females and a male) and my two females Black Back Tamarin wrasse (I also have a male). I like to keep breeding units of my fishes if possible.
IMG_7344.jpeg
FlameAngel2019082508MaleNuptial.jpg
FlameAngel2019082511Male.jpg
FlameAngel2019100901.jpg
thats beautiful!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, with the provided fishes, should I make a reef tank, or FOWLR?

None of the fish on your list are known for eating coral - with the exception of the foxface. I've had 2 (not at the same time) and neither bothered any coral, but many folks have reported they can nip at fleshy corals... On that topic the one spot ff is the smallest of the options and might be the best fit with the other active fish you're looking at.

And do I have to make a sump or could I use powerful canister filters or many hang on filters?
There is no "wrong" way, but also no one-size fits all answer... If you aren't planning to have many (any) demanding corals, then you can get away with less filtration (to an extent). Corals are more sensitive to high nutrients than most fish are. Inverts are another story, with some not doing well with high levels. IMO, if you're starting with a blank slate, I would get a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank so you can use a sump. If you want to wait on the sump, you can still use canisters and/or HOB filters, but a sump gives you a lot more flexibility with regard to equipment, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back