OP
OP
S

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the fish on your list are known for eating coral - with the exception of the foxface. I've had 2 (not at the same time) and neither bothered any coral, but many folks have reported they can nip at fleshy corals... On that topic the one spot ff is the smallest of the options and might be the best fit with the other active fish you're looking at.

There is no "wrong" way, but also no one-size fits all answer... If you aren't planning to have many (any) demanding corals, then you can get away with less filtration (to an extent). Corals are more sensitive to high nutrients than most fish are. Inverts are another story, with some not doing well with high levels. IMO, if you're starting with a blank slate, I would get a pre-drilled (reef ready) tank so you can use a sump. If you want to wait on the sump, you can still use canisters and/or HOB filters, but a sump gives you a lot more flexibility with regard to equipment, etc.
What foxface is on your pfp? It looks really amazing. And thank you!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What foxface is on your pfp? It looks really amazing. And thank you!
It's a one-spot. He is goofy and stresses out easily -- they change colors when stressed (or spooked, or when you turn on a light in the room, or they notice you're standing near the tank even though you've been feeding them... Lol) and mine seems to have that color pattern (black on top) quite often.

OP
OP
S

sam2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface, tangs, and angel are the main ones that I want to keep in the tank, the rest are filler.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a well adjust CBB will do just fine in a mixed reef. Almost all the time, CBB will clear your tank of worms, aiptasia and feather duster. Mine is great and feed just fine with the rest of the fishes. They are finicky and difficult to get established once they are established they are hardy and such a beautiful fish
IMG_2329.jpeg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface, tangs, and angel are the main ones that I want to keep in the tank, the rest are filler.
Thats what I keep in my tank mostly, with some more predatory fish (triggers, eels) and they all do well together! I personally think powder brown is underrated in beauty. I thought they were ugly as heck when I saw one and went for the powder blue. But she was a terror! Re homed her and got a powder brown. Beautiful fish! Mine is nice and docile. Maybe luck of the draw but he is beautiful!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back