Tangs for a 125 gallon reef tank

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I thought, what about acanthurus like powder blues and browns besides their difficulty.
You can but they become bullies in such a small tank.. make sure it’s your last addition if you go that route.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thanks for clearing that up, you got a favorite tang or tangs?
I currently have 7 but a much larger tank than yours.. my half black mimmic is my favorite of all..
IMG_2078.jpeg
IMG_0493.jpeg

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I thought, what about acanthurus like powder blues and browns besides their difficulty.

I have a powder blue in my 120g 4ft tank with a purple, white tail bristle tooth, and a foxface.

I added all the tangs together and the aggression is minimal, if not 0 most of the time. The only bullying is the powder blue harassing the foxface when I feed nori.

I feed a full sheet of nori daily. I believe this helps keep aggression down. Well fed fish are not as likely to be aggressive.

If you want a powder blue/brown, I'd recommend QT for all your fish. I bought QTed fish from a trusted source, or QTed any other fish myself. 0 signs of disease in the 6 months I've had the fish.

Eventually, I will probably move to a larger tank, but everyone is happy, so I'm not in a rush.

OP
OP
A

AverageReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 7 but a much larger tank than yours.. my half black mimmic is my favorite of all..
IMG_2078.jpeg
IMG_0493.jpeg
Yeah I was thinking of putting a few tangs in the 125 gallon tank, right now I have a 75 gallon tank with a juvenile yellow tang that I plan on putting in at the same time as another one or two tangs.

OP
OP
A

AverageReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powder blue in my 120g 4ft tank with a purple, white tail bristle tooth, and a foxface.

I added all the tangs together and the aggression is minimal, if not 0 most of the time. The only bullying is the powder blue harassing the foxface when I feed nori.

I feed a full sheet of nori daily. I believe this helps keep aggression down. Well fed fish are not as likely to be aggressive.

If you want a powder blue/brown, I'd recommend QT for all your fish. I bought QTed fish from a trusted source, or QTed any other fish myself. 0 signs of disease in the 6 months I've had the fish.

Eventually, I will probably move to a larger tank, but everyone is happy, so I'm not in a rush.
How long do you normally QT?

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you normally QT?

I used this process. I didn't treat with the prazi, I just did the copper portion. I should have done both, but ich was my main concern.

I opted to add the tangs at the same time over continuing to QT the purple tang with prazi. I got them all from different sources, so I had to try to get them all at the same time. One was from my LFS that quarantines, one was from Dr. Reef, and the purple was from a local reefers, which is why I QTed him myself.

It was a bit of a pain to plan out, but it worked out well.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that I chose 3 different types of tangs, which helps mitigate aggression as well. Acanthus (powder blue), Ctenochaetus (white tail bristle tooth), and zebrasoma (purple).

This was my first time keeping tangs, so I did a ton of research and it paid off!

OP
OP
A

AverageReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used this process. I didn't treat with the prazi, I just did the copper portion. I should have done both, but ich was my main concern.

I opted to add the tangs at the same time over continuing to QT the purple tang with prazi. I got them all from different sources, so I had to try to get them all at the same time. One was from my LFS that quarantines, one was from Dr. Reef, and the purple was from a local reefers, which is why I QTed him myself.

It was a bit of a pain to plan out, but it worked out well.
Yeah I have heard a lot of bad things about acanthurus family and ich I will definitely qt if I end up getting one. If any I would get a powder blue. Thanks for your help.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking of putting a few tangs in the 125 gallon tank, right now I have a 75 gallon tank with a juvenile yellow tang that I plan on putting in at the same time as another one or two tangs.
I have a yellow, blue, purple and PBT (powder brown NOT blue lol had a devil powder blue I re homed) in my six foot 125. No issues. Blue tang does his own thing, my purple can be a pill when she wants to be, the yellow is a bit of a trouble maker sometimes and the powder brown minds his own business

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to be near the lower end of loading larger fish in aquarium. Most of the tangs are fine if you put them in largish tanks and feed them plenty.
I would recommend three smaller size tangs in a standard 125 (5 foot tank). A yellow or purple, a Kole or Tomini (or another of this genus), and a Convict. This group will do just fine in a 125 and stays relatively small.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Powder Blue in my 125 that I have had for around 8 years. He has the most personality of all my fish. I also have a Reagal Angel, Foxface and a Copperband Butterfly for my big fish. They all get along

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back