Anyone feel like taking a guess? Brand new tank

eMikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank set up for a few days and im already getting these growing on the glass, they're super tiny and the snails suck them right up.

I can't imagine it's a nitrate / phosphate type of thing so soon. It's dead center of this pic.

16606940918757468220363274101067.jpg

Thanks.

catiebartholomew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank set up for a few days and im already getting these growing on the glass, they're super tiny and the snails suck them right up.

I can't imagine it's a nitrate / phosphate type of thing so soon. It's dead center of this pic.

16606940918757468220363274101067.jpg

Thanks.
hair algae ?? snails eating them is a good sign they’re some kind of algae. toss some gfo (absorbs phosphates) and activated carbon /carbon dose/water change to lower nitrate. HOWEVER, since your inverts (snails) are active, i would doubt that nitrates are high

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I’m neck deep in bryopsis in my 10 gallon and this looks like bryopsis to me. Hard to be sure from the photo but looks like very early stages of growth, I could probably get an identical picture from that tank. I may be wrong but looks like it is branching from the main stalk that’s why I’m leaning that way over hair algae. Your snails could have very well brought this in.

OP
OP
E

eMikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I’m neck deep in bryopsis in my 10 gallon and this looks like bryopsis to me. Hard to be sure from the photo but looks like very early stages of growth, I could probably get an identical picture from that tank. I may be wrong but looks like it is branching from the main stalk that’s why I’m leaning that way over hair algae. Your snails could have very well brought this

Yeah, I think you're right, thanks. The only thing in this tank is 1 little piece of rock (rest is cooking) 2 snails. A few blue legs, 2 clowns and a lta.

I may put the the lta in a bucket with some flow and keep the lights off for while.

From what I'm reading it's photosynthetic.

I can only see it with a magnifying glass for now.

Any thoughts?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think you're right, thanks. The only thing in this tank is 1 little piece of rock (rest is cooking) 2 snails. A few blue legs, 2 clowns and a lta.

I may put the the lta in a bucket with some flow and keep the lights off for while.

From what I'm reading it's photosynthetic.

I can only see it with a magnifying glass for now.

Any thoughts?
Other than just removing it until you can actually id it 100% I can’t really give suggestions outside of the general algae management. Just keep on top of things and don’t let any algae get out of hand.

OP
OP
E

eMikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I am just seeing the sticky at the top so if it does end up being it, I may just go that route once it's confirmed.

Thanks for you time.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I am just seeing the sticky at the top so if it does end up being it, I may just go that route once it's confirmed.

Thanks for you time.
Best of luck. I may be wrong in the id because it’s so hard to tell but I figured better safe than sorry. If it turns out to be normal hair algae it is nothing to worry about at all. I would make sure to inspect the shell of any snails coming into the tank just to try and catch any new algaes.

OP
OP
E

eMikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're gone as far as I can see. There were several growing on the glass, all having noticeable growth in a day. The 2 snails I have must have mowed them down.

Shrugs

I was ready to tear the ***** down. Lol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're gone as far as I can see. There were several growing on the glass, all having noticeable growth in a day. The 2 snails I have must have mowed them down.

Shrugs

I was ready to tear the ***** down. Lol
You need to get rid of that mentality or you will become your own worst enemy. Majority of stuff like this really isn’t a big deal and can be managed with enough time/effort. There are very few things that warrant taking a tank down.

OP
OP
E

eMikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't consider bryopsis in a new13 gallon tank with only literally one small rock in it, a reason to start over?

I would consider being unhappy at my aquascape a reason to start over in this stage lol.

Fwiw I've been in the hobby for approx 15 years, (took the last 10 or so off) my screen name over at reefcentral was noschwag.

Appreciate your time.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't consider bryopsis in a new13 gallon tank with only literally one small rock in it, a reason to start over?

I would consider being unhappy at my aquascape a reason to start over in this stage lol.

Fwiw I've been in the hobby for approx 15 years, (took the last 10 or so off) my screen name over at reefcentral was noschwag.

Appreciate your time.
No I wouldn’t. I don’t know why either of those things require starting a tank over but to each their own.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back