Anyone growing pods or baby brine?

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in starting to cultivate my own copopods and baby brine shrimp. I am sick of emerald bay always being out when I need them and $25 for a bottle of tiggers at the critter is crazy. I have read all about Paulb's setup but I was just wondering if anyone local is doing it and if I could check out the setup.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought about doing it, too, but haven't started yet. Let me know if you do! Grab some phyto and Guillard's F/2, also. :)

I'm also hoping to grab some live mysis shrimp at some point. Had those in my 45g refugium... they were awesome.

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hatched baby brine before. Its super easy.

Just make sure you get the eggs without the shell, it makes it so much easier.

Desk lamp, 2 liter bottle, airstone, and some saltwater. BOOM!

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of growing your own? Finicky fish? Just an additional food source???

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish such as pipefish will not eat anything else and if you want your mandarins to spawn, additional feedings with brine shrimp are very beneficial.

Spawning clown gobies

Pregnant mandarin

Mandarins eating baby brine shrimp from a feeder.

Spawning mandarins

Pregnant bluestripe pipefish.

This is why you hatch brine shrimp

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish such as pipefish will not eat anything else and if you want your mandarins to spawn, additional feedings with brine shrimp are very beneficial.

Spawning clown gobies

Pregnant mandarin

Mandarins eating baby brine shrimp from a feeder.

Spawning mandarins

Pregnant bluestripe pipefish.

This is why you hatch brine shrimp
Are these all your fish?
What are you doing playing **** all the time to get your fish in the mood? Lol
I've never heard of anyone having mandarins clown gobbies and pipe fish all spawning in the same aquarium that's crazy

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info guys. Ryan I want to raise then to feed my mandarin as I can tell it has decimated my pod population and I am worried it's not getting enough to eat. I would also like to get another one because I like them so much. I think I am going to try the baby brine first and make a feeder like Paulb. Hopefully my Mandy will find them.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a pair of mandarins in a 45g tank that ate SFBB frozen copepods readily. Mine bred, too. :) Give those a shot, also.

Brandon

racoloish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky with my mandarin the first day I bought him I threw some frozen brine shrimp and he start eating them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of anyone having mandarins clown gobbies and pipe fish all spawning in the same aquarium that's crazy
All of my paired fish are spawning including 23 year old fire clowns, 4 cardinals and watchman gobies. Almost all healthy fish spawn all the time and if they don't, they are not very healthy. Only live food will do that.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats waht fish do eat and have sex what else is there to do. We never let them have control of the tv remote so they have to do something. First thing I do on a new tank is introduce cop copopods then let them go crazy for a few months before any fish are added to the tank. As the saying goes Nothing happens fast in your tank but bad things.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my paired fish are spawning including 23 year old fire clowns, 4 cardinals and watchman gobies. Almost all healthy fish spawn all the time and if they don't, they are not very healthy. Only live food will do that.
Do you raise any of the babies or just let nature take its course?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't raise any of them any more but years ago I used to raise them.

Watchman gobi with her eggs.

Here are the parents.

I collected these seahorses, here the female is transferring eggs to the male. This was also in my reef. I raised the babies.

This is my first breeding in about 1972 or so. This male is over his nest of eggs in that barnacle shell

Close up of the eggs.

Last edited:
Back