Anyone had a customaquariums.com tank

reefrottie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into a new build of a 96/30/24 starphire rimless and have been looking at customaquariums.com tanks. Anyone have any input?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into a new build of a 96/30/24 starphire rimless and have been looking at customaquariums.com tanks. Anyone have any input?
These guys are actually about 20 minutes from my house. Visited their facility recently as my uncle ordered a tank from them. It hasn't come in yet but when it does I can keep you posted. The place seemed great and the staff was very knowledgeable. The only thing I don't like is their sump and overflow choice. So if you do, I'd recommend having them drill theaquarium, but installing your own overflow and sump

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought one of their scratch and dent tanks. Customer backed out of the sale mid tank build and I bought it with bottom holes and no top and bottom frames. I really love the tank. They do not skimp on the silicone and the corner silicone lines look fantastic from the outside viewing area. You can see the little tiny button spacers they use while injecting the silicone into each seam so you know the seams are full of silicone with a good bond. Mine was drilled in the bottom so I did have to patch over those holes but they will drill your tank to your specs. Mine also had 1/2 bottom glass, not sure if that will ever be an issue. My old 180 gallon had 3/4 bottom glass. The crating was done well and I saved alittle bit of money by picking it up at the local trucking facility.
Can a tank even be build rimless the size you are looking for?
Jeff

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched many of the videos on their site— testimonials, factory tours, etc., and I am very impressed. I use their Seamless Sumps. If I had a tank built, they would probably be my #1 choice for quality/value.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their 8’ x 3’ x 30” tank. It is a great tank. They also package their tanks for shipping really well and include a rental of 12 suction cup handles for lifting the tank.

Workmanship is perfect, with aluminum top, bottom and cross braces.

Note that these are very heavy tanks, it was over 700lbs and very difficult to carry down stairs.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their 8’ x 3’ x 30” tank. It is a great tank. They also package their tanks for shipping really well and include a rental of 12 suction cup handles for lifting the tank.

Note that these are very heavy tanks, it was over 700lbs and very difficult to carry down stairs.

Pics of this beast?

OP
OP
reefrottie

reefrottie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have them drill it, I want to put in a shadow overflow and I love the thought of not having to fight with bulkheads on the bottom. Sounds very promising so I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to have them drill it, I want to put in a shadow overflow and I love the thought of not having to fight with bulkheads on the bottom. Sounds very promising so I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow.
Nooooo! (Joking, they aren’t that bad.). You want a Modular Marine or Exotic Marine Systems overflow instead. The Synergy overflow is not well engineered. Loud from water falling because the rear box is way too low. And not as safe if you want it quieter (never gets close to silent). While Synergy is strong polycarbonate, it’s flimsy because it’s thin. Fit and finish is poor as well.

OP
OP
reefrottie

reefrottie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nooooo! (Joking, they aren’t that bad.). You want a Modular Marine or Exotic Marine Systems overflow instead. The Synergy overflow is not well engineered. Loud from water falling because the rear box is way too low. And not as safe if you want it quieter (never gets close to silent). While Synergy is strong polycarbonate, it’s flimsy because it’s thin. Fit and finish is poor as well.
Thank you, I’m looking into the exotic marine systems overflow.

OP
OP
reefrottie

reefrottie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waiting on pictures! Lol! I got a quote today and it was surprisingly reasonable even with delivery.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on pictures! Lol! I got a quote today and it was surprisingly reasonable even with delivery.
Did you end up going with customaquariums.com?

Considering them for my 72"x30"x24" rimless and would love to hear your feedback as your dimensions are almost the same as mine, just longer.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of using them. @WVNed I want the exact size you have. Anything you would of done differently through the whole process. Including delivery. I'm in Florida. I want a framed tank with no top bracing. I wonder if they would do that using the same thickness glass as a rimless?

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with them today. They will build my tank rimless with 5/8” glass with their aluminum frame on the bottom for strength.

My only concern would be bowing at that thickness but they didn’t find it an issue.

Looks like that’s who I’m goin with. Quotes from them, PA, glasscages, miracles, and reef savvy (dreaming, I know).

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the 6 ft. 180 with low iron front glass. 1/2 glass. Very happy with the tank. Did the shadow overflow but not so happy. They drilled the tank for me.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back