Anyone hardly ever experienced the ocean?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up in Midwest USA and didn’t see an ocean until I was 25. We left St Louis after work on a Thursday, drove all night and got to Panama City beach FL around 10am. None of us had ever seen the ocean so naturally we all jumped in with our clothes and shoes on. I was absolutely shocked that the saltwater burned my eyes and it tasted terrible ;Hilarious not sure what I expected. the next day we spent all day on the beach walking and did some swimming later in the day. There was sting rays, dolphins and jellyfish disguised as sandwich baggies. I was instantly hyper aware of all the sea creatures and the depth and vastness (is that a word?) of the ocean. Never went back in our whole trip. it was great to experience but I much prefer my box of ocean. I have shells from that trip in my tank and my hermits wear them! cool little reminder

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on Long Island New York yards from the sea and can't imagine living without it. For about 6 months I was stationed in Colorado and always said, Colorado would be perfect if it only had an ocean. :cool:

I think the mountains are cool, but I feel they are stagnant. The sea is always different, changing and alive.
My wife and I had our breakfast on the water an hour ago.

You really need to move. :)

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in the minority here, so I'm kind of timid to say it, but: I'm not sure what all the hype is about beaches. I have lived at one my whole life and never really understood the lifestyle. What's so fun about getting sticky from the saltwater and then having sand stick to you until you can shower? Not to mention the fact that there is no shade, so the sun is beating down on you non-stop. Also, those pesky crabs that like to pinch toes when you can't see the bottom...
Maybe that's why I'm so into reef aquariums, as I get to have my slice of the ocean without having to deal with the sunburn and other cons... just a wallet that's on fire.

Last edited:

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be in the minority here, so I'm kind of timid to say it, but: I'm not sure what all the hype is about beaches. I have lived at one my whole life and never really understood the lifestyle. What's so fun about getting sticky from the saltwater and then having sand stick to you until you can shower. Not to mention the fact that there is no shade, so the sun in beating down on you non-stop. Or those pesky crabs that like to pinch toes when you can't see the bottom.
Maybe that's why I'm so into reef aquariums, as I get to have my slice of the ocean without having to deal with the sunburn and other cons... just a wallet that's on fire.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of beaches... It's the reefs beyond them that capture my imagination. On my most recent trip I found myself snorkeling off a rocky coastline and ignoring the beach completely.

IMG_20200120_171309.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget Belize. Some of the most beautiful diving in the Caribbean can be found along the second longest barrier reef in the world there. I was fortunate enough to go and dive there in 2002. Nurse sharks, reef sharks, sea turtles, manta rays, moray eels, beautiful fish and coral... it was amazing.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so true of sandy beaches and I don't like them either. The beach behind my house is up against a "mountain" with trees so we have a lot of shade.

The beach behind my house is on the Sound and being that was formed just before I was born 17,000 years ago, it is all rocks. With the reefing blood in my I need to go out at low tide to explore and collect.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s nothing like the ocean. I’m lucky to have grown up in Florida, and been able to visit with the ocean once or twice every year since moving to Michigan. It’s been three years now since I’ve seen the ocean and I miss it so much, life is dull without it.

Luckily I have my slice of reef at home. To distract me and take me to the happy place.

I’m excited for you to experience that mesmerizing beauty soon, finally. You’re in for a treat. Az isn’t far from the coast, hop on down!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Kansas and have rarely seen the ocean.

1990 Pacific
2002 Gulf of Mexico
2003 Atlantic
2014 Pacific

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some people where I am who live by the sea and collect fish and corals and inverts to keep themselves and to sell, and they don’t live that far from me, but since I’m totally new to the hobby I’d rather play it safe by going to my LFS where I can see the fish rather than go online.

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of beaches... It's the reefs beyond them that capture my imagination. On my most recent trip I found myself snorkeling off a rocky coastline and ignoring the beach completely.

IMG_20200120_171309.jpg

This is me too, give me everything about the ocean except the sandy beaches full of people and I love it. Rocky shores, snorkeling, fishing, boating, marshes, the sounds, the horizon...

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is me too, give me everything about the ocean except the sandy beaches full of people and I love it. Rocky shores, snorkeling, fishing, boating, marshes, the sounds, the horizon...

Same here. I like beaches but I can't stand being around the crowd. Makes me nervous and not be myself.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar boat, I'm in a more landlocked area of my home state GA, so beach visits only come every year or so. We don't go to the crappy GA beaches, no, we go down (6-8hr drive) to St augustine FL, one of the prettiest oceans I've seen. The sand is powdery and the water is a looming grey blue, and another plus is nobody goes in the fall! I would recommend when you go to any beach that you go in the early fall, barely any people at all.
I'm also in a similar boat regarding swimming, when I was little I could tread and swim laps and dive, but I swim so infrequently that a recent trip to a water park nearly proved fatal to me and one of my brothers :eek: In that moment I realized I had to learn... But I haven't yet;) I also plan to get a diving license as well, so I really need to step on it ;Dead

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back