Anyone have a full list of inverts that successfully breed on their own in reef tanks?

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

One of the aspects of reefkeeping I've always been interested in is the degree to which it can approximate an "ecosystem in a tank." That is to say, I've always been fascinated with hitchhikers - particularly hitchhikers which can form semi-stable breeding populations in our tanks.

Is there any comprehensive list out there of what will basically breed in our tanks on its own, with no particular husbandry on our part?

Off the top of my head:

Cnidarians, Sponges, and Tunicates: The rule with all of these groups seems to be "if you can keep it alive in your tank, and it can reproduce asexually, it will reproduce asexually." Sexual reproduction resulting in viable offspring is just straight-out impossible though.

Crustaceans: All of the common "pods" (copepods, amphiopods, isopods, mysis, etc) breed well in tanks when there is little in the way of predation. In contrast, not a single commonly-kept ornamental is easy to breed, AFAIK, since every shrimp, crab, and hermit has planktonic larvae.

Echinoderms: Since starfish and brittle stars can reproduce asexually through fragmentation, they can form self-supporting populations in our tanks, though typically we only see this happen with Asterina starfish and the very small brittle stars. Sea cucumbers can also reproduce via division, with many having witnessed smaller ones reproducing in our tanks. Sea urchins - and I guess crinoids - are really the only ones left out.

Mollusks: There are of course various hitchhiker snails, like Stomatella and Collonista, which breed well in tanks on their own, along with many pests and semi-pests (vermetids, some nudibranchs, etc). I have heard that some Cerith (particularly the "dwarf" ones),Trochus, and mini-Strombus breed easily as well, though they are more likely to get munched by fish. Most other snails, along with all clams have planktonic young, and thus don't breed in our tanks.

"Worms:" This of course covers multiple groups of life. Generally speaking, common "bristleworms" breed well in our tanks, as do pest flatworms and the tiny spinorbid featherdusters. I know that some of the colonial "cluster duster" varieties reproduce well asexually if your tank can support them. I've had various other worms in my tank - Spionids, spaghetti worms, ribbon worms, peanut worms - but they never seemed to persist in large numbers for long, or were more cryptic, leading me to think that either they don't reproduce as well in captivity, or the fish found them tastier.

Anyway, any other thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sea cucumbers that reproduce in my tank and my leopard wrasse eats the babies so I don't have to feed as much

Do you mean just spawn planktonic young, or they fission off little babies that get eaten?

Lots of livestock will spawn in tank. But between hungry mouths, powerheads/skimmers/pumps, and lack of suitable nanoplankton, they just don't have a chance.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nassarius snails breed in the tank and at least one baby survived.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an E. Crispata breed and got at least 15 adults. Unfortunately all but 2 feel to predation. A rogue bristle worm I think, which I also believe has been removed.

I have at least two types of snails breeding in my tank now, possibly three. Nerites for sure, some type of cerith for sure, and maybe one other. They are too small to tell right now. I also have chitons and colonistas breeding alot.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of snails

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back